Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need threading tools for the lathe... Anybody here used this kind of Aloris setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dalee100 View Post
    At that point testing with a nut, is fine.
    It won't give you any idea of engagement with a thread of any specification though and if the nut is a little sloppy compared to standard and the actual mating part is spot on things may not work out well.
    If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

Hi,

It's amazing how few class fit callouts you see on shop floor prints.......

No, you won't know the exact measurements of your thread without measuring, but experience of screwing nuts and bolts together will tell you if it's good enough for casual work.

If you are doing life threat level work, that's a different matter. Then you must know for sure. Otherwise, good enough really often is.

Dalee
      If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

I do both depending on the need. Wires for checking "must be right", and for others "if it screw on it's fine". Problem with so many mass produced nuts /bolts is they are awfully loose, and I get caught now and then. Then there are those threads where there is no available "nut / bolt". I was slowly accumulating a set of "good" masters but they got mixed back into the general population at some point.

In addition to wires, for the stuff that matters I have a nice thread mic which is great for external (if the threads are cleanly deburred).

Internal threads are another story... good luck with wires! Hard to beat full profile lay-down inserts for guaranteeing results.

One day I'll find a dusty gigantic box for go/no-go thread checkers imperial/metric and internal/external 4-48 to 2 inch, and all for $10.
        Last edited by lakeside53; 05-07-2017, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yondering View Post
          To follow up on this - here is the tool and a 10 pack of carbide inserts I ordered recently. It seems to work just as well as my external tool of the same style. The inserts for this internal tool are smaller, which is good unless you're only threading large holes.

https://www.banggood.com/Internal-La...p-1032420.html

https://www.banggood.com/11NR-A6011I...p-1042198.html
          So I bought a couple of these tools, one for internal threads and the other for external.
          I'm not sure what grade of carbide they are, but it sound like it could be pretty hard.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Edwards View Post
            So I bought a couple of these tools, one for internal threads and the other for external.
            I'm not sure what grade of carbide they are, but it sound like it could be pretty hard.
            I guess you would be diking around in the shop with those?
            www.thecogwheel.net

Comment

That's standard procedure for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Edwards View Post
                ...but it sound like it could be pretty hard.
                So hard a cat can't scratch it!
                Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

What size do you need? I have about 50 Aloris BXA tools & several duplicates. Let me know if BXA will work & I check the shop but might be a day or 2 as I screwed up my back WORSE & it's not getting better so I may be done but if the size works & I have any extra it's yours.

Comment

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
                    So hard a cat can't scratch it!
                    Ow!! No!

Comment

Working...
                    X