Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop fidgiting!

at least im sure that's what my grandma would be telling everyone,,,

Yes I think their stupid esp. the ones with the wasted bearings outside - but allot of things are stupid and that hasn't stopped people from buying them --- spinners are kinda the new "beanie babies" I guess, I do think it's kinda a shame they don't even teach the basics of gyroscopic effects or at least most don't as they seem to have a flat platform you set them on,

maybe make one side with center pop-out round button so you can at least get it up to speed and use the energy for something "kinda" useful in balancing itself, anotherwords not just useless spinning but a display of gyroscopic effect...

If I did decide to build one I wouldn't mess around, id smash the competition with a center perm mag levitation bearing, resistant to pocket lint and in function a cool lesson in itself

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
      Stop fidgiting!

Yes I think their stupid esp. the ones with the wasted bearings outside - but allot of things are stupid and that hasn't stopped people from buying them --- spinners are kinda the new "beanie babies" I guess, I do think it's kinda a shame they don't even teach the basics of gyroscopic effects or at least most don't as they seem to have a flat platform you set them on,

maybe make one side with center pop-out round button so you can at least get it up to speed and use the energy for something "kinda" useful in balancing itself, anotherwords not just useless spinning but a display of gyroscopic effect...

If I did decide to build one I wouldn't mess around, id smash the competition with a center perm mag levitation bearing, resistant to pocket lint and in function a cool lesson in itself
      But you do not mention it is useful for stress relief .it is not designed for promoting the IQ,or the balance ability .i do not think your grandma need the fidget spinner

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Comment

I'll tell you how I spell stress relief - Put GB's design up against the others in kinda a "battlebot" competition,,, Spin it in the right direction George and you got no worries

Edit; Iv actually owned a couple of these, they are the ultimate "spinners" with actual purpose and they will give your forearms and wrists a good workout,,,

the worlds fastest human powered RPM device - the powerball (over 20,000 rpm's !!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzEPxemxu_E
        Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 05-11-2017, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Yes I think their stupid esp. the ones with the wasted bearings outside - but allot of things are stupid and that hasn't stopped people from buying them ---
          Spinners were the logical outgrowth of ball bearing production shifting to China. All those flawed bearings that aren't even good enough for a Horrible Freight motor have to get used somewhere...

Comment

Just saw a "special" for 2 plastic spinners on a deal website....for only $16, regular price $30. What a deal!

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
              Spinners were the logical outgrowth of ball bearing production shifting to China. All those flawed bearings that aren't even good enough for a Horrible Freight motor have to get used somewhere...
              Now that is profitability!

Comment

Yes I think their stupid esp. the ones with the wasted bearings outside - but allot of things are stupid and that hasn't stopped people from buying them --- spinners are kinda the new "beanie babies" I guess,...
                You hit the proverbial nail on the head.
                Nobody knew they needed one of these until everyone else got one. And they still don't need one, they just want one. I have no real issue with that, but find the craze surrounding them pretty funny.

A friend of mine felt all proud that he scored a couple of the "high end limited edition" ones for 80 or 90 bucks each. Told me he's "gonna sit on them and sell them in a year or two when the price goes way up, cuz they're rare ones..."

Just like all of the parents that were going to hold the rare beanie babies and sell them in 10 years to fund thier kids college education. Right.

Comment

Originally posted by alanganes View Post
                  "high end limited edition" .
                  its like a tax on stupidity. but instead of scorn let it bring hope.....with a market like we don't have to invent the teleporter to be really successful lol
                  in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

There is one positive reasoning,,, the economy must have recovered at least some even if mostly an illusion, for people to be buying and playing with useless crap again instead of being fixated with survival...

enjoy it while you can cuz I got a feeling it's going to tank "again" real soon...

Comment

You folks go off rail real quick huh?

Well, you naredowells really jumped the track this time

Its about the PROJECT I am looking forward to making one. If anything, to get in the shop again and clean off my milling table (the lathe is always good to go).

So yeah, git a grip on yer pantaloons and refocus... Make a frigging spinner. Looks like a perfect project for metal.

Think out of the plastic box and into a metal spinner JR

Comment

Oh, if I had one, it would be making me quite unproductive.

Quite some time ago, I bought one of those self-winding wrist-watches, where just the natural movement of it on your wrist results in it winding. Put it on, and I literally wound up (whee, pun!) breaking the mechanism just sitting and rolling my wrist back and forth activating the winding mechanism in less than a year.

Comment

I hate those things. They're distracting to others, and solve little to no purpose. Thankfully they have lowered the price of already cheap 608 bearings....and those are always useful to have around for projects.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Comment

Stop fidgiting!

Think someone just had the right idea, design an actually useless device that does have some sort of appeal. That same person had the brilliant idea of linking it to a 'therapy/concentration aid' for person's with ADHD and the rest is history
                            (I'll often stick my finger through my key ring and flip my keys, not because I have ADHD,(or maybe I do,don't want to lock myself out of the second half here!) but because they're in my hand and I'm bored (is boredom qualification for ADHD? And is there a 'compensation I can sign up for???))

Comment

Working...
                            X