Photos....Tom Senior and project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos....Tom Senior and project

Some pics of my mill and the 1" scale traction engine under construction.

Allan.

PS. Alistair,do you like the colour.

[This message has been edited by Allan Waterfall (edited 08-07-2004).]

At least you have the right colour on the Dore mill

------------------
    John S.
    Nottingham, England

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

That Dore colour is genuine English Myford,but trowelled on by me.

Definitely nothing like it north of the wall.

Do you want me to come and do your lathe now I've finished the plastering?

Allan

Comment

Hey,
        I can't wait to see that traction engine finished. It looks fantastic already!!
        Fred

Comment

Very nice machine Allan. The Steam Engine is very interesting. Where does one get plans for something like that? Are you scaling a life size unit? Where do you get a tiny little guage like that? Very impressive. Nice work!

Comment

that colour is the exact colour im going to do my bridgeport with..love it.

Comment

Well done Allan
              I'm green with envy.
              That is a nice ( a very nice ) milling machine.
              I think it's worth waiting and paying a bit extra sometimes for a machine although you did not over pay for one in that condition it's a beauty.I wish you good health my English friend to use it keep us informed .
              Do you sleep with it at the bottom of the bed at night?Alistair
              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

At least you have the right colour on the Dore mill
                ------------------

at least he has a dore unlike your toilet Alistair
                Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

That looks like some beautiful work on the traction engine. Did you make your own boiler? One of these days I aim to make Kozo Kiraoake's Pennsylvania A3 in 1/4" scale. Just about have his book memorized at this point but have never worked with copper and suspect I'll find making the boiler out of .080 thick copper sheeting a real challenge.

Comment

Hi Bernie.

The model is called a "Minnie",it's a 1" semi scale traction engine,it will probably end up as an ornament for "ower gert".

Plans and castings and guages are available in the UK in the link.....
                    www.blackgates.co.uk

There is also a book...."Scale Model Traction Engine Building featuring the Minnie" by L.C.Mason.The book is out of print now,but sometimes comes up on ebay. It is possible to build it from the book because all the drawings are reproduced and easy to read.All measurements are in fractions.

I believe castings etc. are available over there,unfortunately I don't know where.

The project after this one is a one and a half inch true scale model of the Allchin "Royal Chester",considerably more complex than the "Minnie"

As usual,there seems to be as much time making jigs and fixtures as building the model.

Guero....I got the boiler ready made,but I've got a boiler kit to silver solder up for the Allchin.

Allan

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mark Jones:
                      that colour is the exact colour im going to do my bridgeport with..love it.</font>

If you use Tom Senior or Myford green I shall have to report you to the "Paint Police"

There is a recipe for the Tom Senior green using Humbrol paint,also a mix number from one of the paint manufacturers in the messages and files on the Yahoo Tom Senior group.

The chap who painted mine took a part off the head for matching,it cost him just shy of آ£100.00 for 5 litres including postage and paint matching,that manufacturer now has a number for it you can quote if you want some.

PS don't tell Alistair this.

Allan

Comment

Nice engine, but ya put the cylinder on the wrong side!! The belt wheel goes on the right and the cylinder on the left.

Comment

Allan
                          I do all my own paint mixing.
                          I have a 5 gallon drum of white two-pack stoving....bought for آ£4 at a car boot...to this I add pigments bought from a glassfibre place that manufacture go-carts.
                          have noticed in the past that you can vertually add any sort of paint pigment to paint without effecting its properties much.
                          the paint manufactures will preobably dispute this ''sometimes you have problems with it seperating out ...but you just keep shaking the gun ...and bingo.
                          not had any problems so far with fade or paint detereation.
                          so must have it mostly right.
                          I did the saddle and compound recently on my s&b lathe ....got the colour matching wrong because it was weekend and i only had two pigments to play with cobalt blue and yellow oka.
                          here's the results... a mismatch that I will get right at a later date ...lol

before.....

after...this pic was taken strait after removal of the masking.....and before removal of overspray with stanley blade...not brill i know but could not help myself as id just renewed the felts and thought it needed spruceing up.

and here is a Jones $ Shipman pillar drill I did with the same stuff about two years ago...photo taken in the last two weeks.

all the best..mark

[This message has been edited by Mark Jones (edited 08-07-2004).]

Comment

Very nice mill Allan,funny,my projets don't seem to be moving nearly as fast as yours?Oh,I know,I need to get off my arse more often
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Wierd,

I'm pretty slow,that is six months work there.I've been side tracked a few times and some days I don't feel like doing anything.It's four or five weeks now since I did anything on it.Part way through making some rollers to roll the front wheel tyres at the moment.

It sure beats having to go to work though.

Allan

[This message has been edited by Allan Waterfall (edited 08-08-2004).]

Comment

Working...
                              X