At last, my arm is whole again - surprise EvilBay purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At last, my arm is whole again - surprise EvilBay purchase

I've been outbid on milling machines so many times lately, today I put a bid on then ignored it (to help keep my blood pressure low) and went for a bath, dried off to find it hadn't even reached my max. bid...

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/a...psdtn46xik.jpg

Now I'm gonna need a bigger electricity supply...

Dave H. (the other one)
    Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Congrats, very nicely made mill it looks like...
    If you dont mind..how much..?

Comment

woohoo, congrats! keep us updated when you get it, be nice to see more of it.

Comment

Don't know what breed it is but well done, the panic of how the hell do I a) tell the wife and b) get the thing home is now doing the blood pressure a test.
        I'm going to guess a roll of 10mm SWA is on the shopping list, plus a dist board, to hell with it the garage needed wiring anyway!
        Mark
        (Secret machine moving company, stealth tarpaulins a speciality)

Comment

Tidy looking machine.

Paul

Comment

Congrats on new toy,you will enjoy the 3axis power feed.

Comment

How much... 470 UK pounds, less than I was willing to go to, so a surprise!
              Now I'm going to need a phase convertor, EvilBay 3-phase motor or two will be next, depending on how many HP for the two motors...
              And clearing space for it!

Dave H. (the other one)

Comment

Forget the phase converter and get a VFD. Thank me later.
                Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Sweet mill. I'm partial to horizontal machines. Does it come with any other goodies like arbors and supports? Those things will really move some metal.

I tend to disagree with the above VFD suggestion. If this were a nice little turret mill with, at most a 2HP motor, then by all means power it with a VFD. But this guy is best suited to a RPC.

In the US the cost jumps substantially for VFDs once you hit the three HP size. When you get to five HP and up you may find that there are very few single phase input VFDs available.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

I concur with the RPC. If it doesn't need a big improvement in variable speed, RPC is plug and play, not fiddling with a bunch of parameters. And they are essentially bulletproof. Set it and forget it.

Comment

Please tell the non mill spotters amongst us the name and model of your new toy.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                        Please tell the non mill spotters amongst us the name and model of your new toy.
                        As far as I can tell, it's a Dormac UF1, Italian and made in the 70s by Doria of Milano, the only name on it is the UK importer and some googling brought up Dormac as one they were sole UK importer for (and the motors have Italian name plates) - what I know is 18 speeds, 40 - 2000 rpm, int40 spindle (No quill, sadly, nor the overarm and arbor support (which could have had "Dormac" cast in)), power feeds and rapids in all directions and a tilt 'n' swivel head. Swinging "universal" table about 44" by 10" and inch dials.
                        As it has separate spindle and feed motors (4 and 2 HP from what I CAN find about the Dormac "size 1" mills), an RPC WILL be a simpler solution than a pair of VFDs! Scouring EvilBay for suitable parts commences...

Dave H. (the other one)
                        Last edited by Hopefuldave; 05-08-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Well done and much future happy days and nights. Just make sure an invertor will do it I bought my lathe and tried everything and eventually had to go out and buy a new rotary phase convertor (noisy bugger had to put it in a room outwith my engineering shop. It all came about seemingly because my smart and brown lathe 10--24 VSL variable speed which was the problem, Still do your homework and enjoy Alistair
                          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

That looks like a healthy lump of iron. Good luck.

Comment

Shame it is not listed in www.lathes.co.uk , please post more pics when you can.

Comment

Working...
                              X