No announcement yet.

At last, my arm is whole again - surprise EvilBay purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pics will definitely be posted, once it's home and cleaned up! Only problem may be getting far enough back to get all of it in the frame...

Alistair, I know what you mean about VFDs and unusual lathes - my Holbrook has a 3-speed motor, 415v only, and I've had to do a lot of electrickery to power it from a (hacked) VFD, it has worked so far though...

The Mill has 3 motors (spindle, feeds/rapids, suds pump) so a VFD conversion could get even more complicated than the Holbrook, which has 2 VFDs in it... And a scary electrics cabinet, not least the open 3-speed switch with 700V in fingers' reach - I really must put a cover over it!

I've been plumbing the depths of t'internet looking for phase convertor plans, found an interesting arrangement that uses a dual-voltage motor to generate 415 from 240 single phase, LOTS of contactors in it though! http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/t...5/#post-350783 is the post with the diagram, if it works it would mean no need to change contactor coils, overload relays etc. - after the Holbrook something *simple* would be nice!

Dave H. (the other one)
    Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

Working...
    X