Round Magnetic Transfer Parallel ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round Magnetic Transfer Parallel ???

I need to make a round magnetic transfer parallel. Like the flat rectangular or V block type.
    Like these............ Only round.

I need it to be about 1 1/2" in dia. x about 3/4" thick would do. I can't cast and / or laminate plates so I'm thinking piece of round stock with holes and brass rods.
    Something like this......, again only round.
    How would I go about making it, what would work. I'm guessing that if I drilled out a disc with closely spaced holes and pressed in brass rods it would work sufficiently. Any thoughts??? Spacing of holes and dia. of them is probably the determining factor on how well it transfers the pull.

JL......................
    Last edited by JoeLee; 05-08-2017, 07:41 PM.

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
    I need to make a round magnetic transfer parallelI'm thinking piece of round stock with holes and brass rods.

How would I go about making it, what would work. I'm guessing that if I drilled out a disc with closely spaced holes and pressed in brass rods it would work sufficiently. Any thoughts???
    JL......................
    I'm thinking a brass disc with steel pins pressed in.

Steve

Comment

JL,

Actually, it's vice versa: bronze (or aluminum, epoxy, etc.) block with ferrous pins.

Here is a good reading: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...blocks-253882/
      Last edited by MichaelP; 05-08-2017, 08:11 PM.
      Mike
      WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Yes, I thought about it after, I had it backwards.
        OK, I have some 1 1/2" dia. brass rounds. I can use that. Also have some mild steel rod of various sizes. 3/8" or 1/2".
        The above link to the PM forum mentioned somewhere that larger dia. pins work better for chucks with bigger spaces between poles.
        My grinder has an old B&S chuck with the lead filled poles, probably all of an inch between them. So I'll make one with 1/2" dia. pins unless someone has a recommendation. But... with a 1 1/2" dia. disc and 1/2" dia. pins I won't get too many pins in there. Perhaps I should go to 3/8" pins and a light press fit.

JL....................

Comment

I'm afraid that if you have 1" between the poles, your 1 1/2" round block won't have much to transfer.
          Mike
          WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Why cant you laminate ?

Comment

for best results, The pin array should "match" the pole spacing of the chuck.

And since chucks are very "orthogonal" in their pole arrangement, the transfer block should have it's transfer pins arranged likewise.

Round or rectangular. it doesn't make much difference what the outside configuration is. I could see round if one were using a rotary grinding fixture.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                I'm afraid that if you have 1" between the poles, your 1 1/2" round block won't have much to transfer.
                I know. I would have to set the block directly over the pole. That's what I'm doing know with the ground disc that I'm using. With a solid steel disc there isn't much pull. I cringe every time I make a pass over the part. Any kind of transfer block has to be better than what I have now.

JL..............

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                  . Any kind of transfer block has to be better than what I have now.

as mentioned, not going to work.....or work very well. No transfer block (afaik) is going to change the spacing of the poles....it just, well, transfers

I'd start with whats the task, whats the part look like? Their may be common workarounds. Guessing, its its round disk? how thick? what I often do is lay two thin parallels or pieces of sheet metal on the mag chuck, forming a V and set the work into it.
                  in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

This vid has some applicable info...laminating, spacing, etc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBhnRvCnIcs

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                      No transfer block (afaik) is going to change the spacing of the poles....it just, well, transfers
                      What if you built it like a truncated pyramid using wedges? Something along the lines of this:

Comment

What does this part look like? Why is a round parallel a necessity?
                        Can't just block the part on the chuck with two Vee(s) of scrap steel?

Comment

Originally posted by RichR View Post
                          What if you built it like a truncated pyramid using wedges? Something along the lines of this:
                          I doubt it, but i'll leave that to physicists - and masochists, would you want to build that lol? I want to know what the part looks like.
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

It would be easier to arrange the pins like this (conical shape) rather than building laminations. My gut feeling tells me it's not going to be as effective as parallel pins, but maybe it'll be better in this particular case. Worth a try, I guess. I'd make the block out of aluminum or even wood just as a proof of concept. A chunk of wood with a bunch of nails. How does that sound?
                            Mike
                            WI/IL border, USA

Comment

This design looks to be a lot of work as compared to drilling holes in a brass round.

JL...............

Comment

Working...
                              X