No announcement yet.

When the Inch turned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This got me to thinking so I went out to my shop and took my tape measure and measured my Micrometer. Thank God it all came out right on the money. I didn't want to have to fret over it during my mid-day nap.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Nanoseconds whether necessary or not.
      A long time ago i was looking after the targets for the pistol events at a Commonwealth Games.
      These games are for the ex British Commonwealth countries and are held every 4 years.

The targets had crystal clocks controlling the exposure clutches, deliberately not adjustable.
      The clutches were wrap spring clutches which were not adjustable, neither were the induction motors that drove the clutches.
      Every morning a procession of about 8 "officials" would arrive with their manually operated approved clockwork stop watches,
      and I would have to run each target through its sequence, to get the timing approved for the day.
      They stood in front of the targets and thumbed their stop watches.

The first day there was a big argument.
      Not only were all the official measurements different, but they ganged up on me and said the targets were no good.
      I recall they even delayed some events.
      So I rented a Hewlett Packard counter (I think a 5334A) that could display times to a within 2 nanosecond (9 decimals) , connected it to trigger on the clutch driver,
      and set it up each morning down range where the officials could see it.

That mostly worked for the remaining events, for they would focus on their stopwatches to get close to the counter!
      The counter showed them the small jitter in the solenoid signals, but more relevantly,
      showed that their manual reflexes had much greater scatter.

I am out of touch with targets but I see the rapid fire targets are now just static with lights to indicate the time window to the competitor.
      That seems tame, compared to the old days, remembering that Dirty Harry competition.

Comment

Sounds similar to fast draw competition....

But there, I have never seen anyone get upset about calibrations. Still, there is time delay as the light comes on (if incandescent vs LED) and there may be slight time differences between channels. Could be significant at some of the times folks get.

Don't get us started on the miss penalty time issues, or max distance........
        CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
          There is going to be some "major" chances in year or two in the definitions of mass, voltage, temperature and some other units.

In some fields you even have to specify wich definition you are referring to: IPTS-68 and ITS-90 temperature scales are radically different if you work on temperature calibration lab...
          The world is working fairly well now, you have to wonder if this sort of stuff is bureaucratic job preservation. imperial is looking better and better.
          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Nothing is measured in meters or square meters. Meters are used to measure things. Measurements are made in metres.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
              The world is working fairly well now, you have to wonder if this sort of stuff is bureaucratic job preservation. imperial is looking better and better.
              Like it would be any better or different in "imperial" world. US NIST is one of the leading and biggest players in metrology. Guess who is one of their biggest customer? US military.

I think the improvements in accuracy usually trickle down to "daily life" really slowly but that is pretty common in any sort of research.

Comment

Originally posted by Normanv View Post
                Nothing is measured in meters or square meters. Meters are used to measure things. Measurements are made in metres.
                Too complicated spelling for americanos. Same as metric system, too complicated without fractions and wildass conversion factors

Comment

There is no need to convert, just use the metric system. "You know it makes sense." (For UK viewers.)

Comment

Originally posted by Normanv View Post
                    "You know it makes sense." (For UK viewers.)
                    Only Fools and Horses went well past UK shores. Del Boy had his own conversion problems with the "continental current" and those video recorders!

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripe View Post
                      Only Fools and Horses went well past UK shores.
                      first I'd heard of it......where is it on the 'worth watching' scale.....pass/ho hum/good/brilliant?
                      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                        first I'd heard of it......where is it on the 'worth watching' scale.....pass/ho hum/good/brilliant?
                        Brilliant, IMO. I'm sure some people hate it. You will need to watch a few episodes to get a feel for it. Plenty on YT. An example below. You will miss some of the gags if you aren't familiar with it. Laughter track is annoying, but it always is.

Last edited by pinstripe; 05-09-2017, 02:16 PM.

Comment

I remember it happening in the UK, but couldn't remember when.
                          Never mind, it's still within a gnats cock.

Comment

Now I am confused. I used the expression "you know it makes sense" because it is latent in my English brain. I have since searched for it on Google and I cannot find anything that I can remember. Am I going mad?

Comment

Apparently "you know it makes sense" was part of the campaign to get people to wear seat belts. Unfortunately it was Jimmy Saville who fronted the campaign.

Comment

One of the central characters in Only Fools and Horses (a British sitcom) would often say "You know it makes sense". I thought your "For UK viewers" was alluding to that show. Apologies for the confusion!

Comment

Working...
                                X