Nice Craigslist score today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Craigslist score today

So Harbor Freight used to sell these for like $189.00; it's a knock off of the Baldor. And while it's not nearly as nice as a Baldor, it's also not $1,100.00.

Anyhow, HF used to carry these and then they just disappeared from the stores never to return. Next time I saw them, they were available through Grizzly for $295. I found this one on Craigslist for $30.00. There was a slight bit of rust on the tables which cleaned up very easily. Wiped the rest of the machine down and she's basically brand new. There's a scratch on the motor housing, and that's basically it.

Anyhow, grinding my lathe tools just got much easier.

Originally posted by DarkLord View Post
    So Harbor Freight used to sell these for like $189.00; it's a knock off of the Baldor. And while it's not nearly as nice as a Baldor, it's also not $1,100.00.

Anyhow, HF used to carry these and then they just disappeared from the stores never to return. Next time I saw them, they were available through Grizzly for $295. I found this one on Craigslist for $30.00. There was a slight bit of rust on the tables which cleaned up very easily. Wiped the rest of the machine down and she's basically brand new. There's a scratch on the motor housing, and that's basically it.

Anyhow, grinding my lathe tools just got much easier.
    There is a multipart series of YouTube videos on the subject of turning those into usable machines.

metalmagpie

Comment

Get rid of those green cement wheels. I have AO white wheels on mine which cut like crap until I dressed them.

Comment

Really good catch for 30 bucks! That's less than a decent grinding wheel costs.

It is interesting that HF stopped selling these. They seemed to be really popular. Not a real Baldor by any stretch but plenty of people used them to good effect and with some of the upgrades that were done to them they could purportedly be really quite good.
        Last edited by alanganes; 05-08-2017, 10:44 PM.

Comment

I have a new one in a box when they closed them out for $89 but I have 2 real ones already. Keith Fenner has a great you tube on getting one running smooth.

Comment

Seems like Harbor Freight had some decent stuff when they first started putting stores everywhere. Funny how that stuff just disappeared and now there is more junk on their shelves.

Comment

you suck

Comment

Great score, I was thinking about getting a grinder like this some time ago. But then I researched online how to grind lathe bits, and most of the expert guys I saw on youtube grinding bits simply used an ordinary grinder (and often an old Craftsman or something non-Baldor-ish). So I just saved the space in my shop and went with my ordinary grinder. Seems to be working out ok so far.

Comment

30$ you suck nice find

Comment

Just what I want but unavailable in the UK without paying silly money. As the tradition goes I have to say 'you suck'

Comment

That looks to be great grinder and like what i have in mind it wouldn't be hard to jig up for grinding HSS for thread cutting to get that precise angle of 60 deg good score

Comment

Thanks for the comments gentlemen; always nice to earn a "You Suck".

I plan on using this until I can find an old Atlas or Delta bench grinder with cast iron tool rests. Probably be a long search because not only do I need to find one, but I have to find one at a time when I have money to buy one.

Comment

Working...
                        X