I need someone to teach me the band saw blade twist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need someone to teach me the band saw blade twist

To make a long story short. I have two band saw blades 1"x93" that I have to
    fold back up and put back on the shelf.

I feel so dumb, I can NOT figure out how to get them back into that double loop
    configuration that they come in when you buy them.

I grab the unfolded blade and do a opposite direction twist with my hands and
    it acts like it going to do it ... but .. it doesn't.

come on ... whats the secret.
    John Titor, when are you.

Hold the blade in front of you. Hold the bottom of the loop against the floor with your foot. Grab the top of the loop with your hand. Rotate your hand while moving it downward.

Comment

now that would a subject better covered in video that print.....grab the loop like a big steering wheel, hands at 9 and 3. top of left hand twists away from you, right toward (they twist in opposite directions). keep twisting as you bring your hands together.

Comment

A helmet, kevlar suit, and bandaids on hand wouldn't hurt either in case it gets away from you ! That sort of thing has never happened to me of course.

Comment

My description is a little different but works for me. Hold the bottom of the loop tight to the the floor. Twist the top of the loop away from you until the sides fold in and it collapses down to a coil.

Comment

Might be easier to learn watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsWa9hRfZuc

He shows you three ways to do it.

Comment

The real fun is unfolding a 9 foot, 3/4 inch, 4TPI blade. :0

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by KMoffett View Post
                The real fun is unfolding a 9 foot, 3/4 inch, 4TPI blade. :0

Ken
                Pfft, try one about 12 feet long 2" wide with 1TPI. I have a couple of those mean SOBs from a sawmill.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                  now that would a subject better covered in video that print.....grab the loop like a big steering wheel, hands at 9 and 3. top of left hand twists away from you, right toward (they twist in opposite directions). keep twisting as you bring your hands together.

I tried that method a few times. Didn't like the
                  blade whizzing past my nose. Don't bother telling me that I needed either longer arms or a shorter nose.

Comment

Are you trying for three loops or four loops?

Unfolding is easy. I take the blade to the grassy area behind the shop, and just toss it.
                    Last edited by winchman; 05-12-2017, 11:24 PM.
                    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

My method is similar to the 3rd method except I do it in one motion (so to speak). Place one foot on the blade on the floor, take my right hand with the hand reversed to the left (knuckles against my chest), and quickly do a complete turn to the right while going down with the blade. job done. Most times a leather glove is nice.
                      Sarge

Comment

Originally posted by winchman View Post
                        Are you trying for three loops or four loops?

Unfolding is easy. I take the blade to the grassy area behind the shop, and just toss it.
                        Watched a guy do that once, but when he tossed the blade he wasn't out on the grass, he was inside a crowded shop. The blade took a bounce off another guy's brand new Gerstner box......My young ears had not yet heard such colorful vocabulary spoken that afternoon.

Comment

Ok guys, got it.

Thanks

First one that worked for me was in the youtube vid, Where he uses the lip of the desk to bend
                          it, then crosses one hand over the other. I actually don't feel as bad now. It kind of is complicated.
                          John Titor, when are you.

Comment

First, the secret: The secret is it is not a double loop, it is a triple loop. Even numbers do not work because they require the blade to twist along it's length. It does not want to do this so it will almost always pop back to a single loop.

ODD numbers of turns DO work: 1, 3, 5, 7, etc. Only odd numbers will work.

So, if you are trying to make a double loop, it will not work. You need to make a triple loop. Or a quintuple loop (5X), etc.

Now for the trick. I was going to write this up, but it is all over the web. Here are some sites that show the technique. If you don't completely understand one, try the next.

http://newwoodworker.com/coilbsblde.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRarn9st2bg

The next guy shows three ways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI1Okb4Vp9Q

The basic idea is to hold one point of the blade firmly and to give the opposite point a single, FULL twist. That twist can be either along the length of the blade, which is somewhat hard to do, or normal (perpendicular) to it's length, which is easier to do. Then bring those two points toward each other and the blade will almost automatically pop into the three fold loop.

Some of those videos show bare hands and unprotected eyes and arms and others show gloves, eye protection, and long sleeves. I would vote for the protection for beginners AND when coiling larger blades.

You DO need to put at least two ties on it before putting it on the shelf or it will spring back at you at the least appropriate time.

I would not recommend a 5X fold for most blades, but if you have a really long one then you should do TWO complete twists instead of one. And getting it settle down will be harder so do consider those gloves and eye protection. Each full twist will add TWO more loops to the fold.

Originally posted by Mike Amick View Post
                            To make a long story short. I have two band saw blades 1"x93" that I have to
                            fold back up and put back on the shelf.

I feel so dumb, I can NOT figure out how to get them back into that double loop
                            configuration that they come in when you buy them.

I grab the unfolded blade and do a opposite direction twist with my hands and
                            it acts like it going to do it ... but .. it doesn't.

come on ... whats the secret.
                            Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 05-13-2017, 01:55 AM.
                            Paul A.

Make it fit.
                            You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by portlandRon View Post
                              Might be easier to learn watching this:

He shows you three ways to do it.
                              Thanks for that video. I just happened to have 93", 1/2", 4 tpi that needed coiling. I tried method 1 and without gloves it was too painful, then I tried 3 and it worked like a champ on the first try. Actually 3 is the vertical version of 1 but with a few advantages. Instead of having to control each end of the blade with a hand, your foot controls one end, leaving both hands to control the other. I did not try 2 as it looked inconvenient to have to work against the shop furniture. So here is big vote for method 3.It has been a long time since I coiled a blade and and I forget how I did it but but method 3 was really easy. Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X