X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcane
    replied
    Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
    He made the decision to re-use the existing cable rather than replace it,a gamble really and one that didn't pay off.Like he says in the video-"$200 of new cable,maybe $1,000 at the most" no more cable than was one the hoist,I would say $300-400 tops.

There have lot's of things ruined due to rotten cables on hoists and cranes,some very expensive items even.For that reason "when in doubt,throw it out" has always been my motto on questionable cables.
    "when in doubt,throw it out"

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by Highpower View Post
    I believe he mentioned that bridge crane sitting outside in the weather for quite some time while he was working on building his shop. From the amount of rust showing on those cables, I would venture a guess that it was sitting outside uncovered and getting rained on. That was his theory for the cable failure. Water got into the core and rusted the cable from the inside out. (His words.)
    He made the decision to re-use the existing cable rather than replace it,a gamble really and one that didn't pay off.Like he says in the video-"$200 of new cable,maybe $1,000 at the most" no more cable than was one the hoist,I would say $300-400 tops.

There have lot's of things ruined due to rotten cables on hoists and cranes,some very expensive items even.For that reason "when in doubt,throw it out" has always been my motto on questionable cables.

Leave a comment:

replied
    What did the Kobe pilot answer with ?

Leave a comment:

• garyhlucas
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post
    About 40 years ago the RCA space wanted to rent our electric sign crane. They didn't want to tell me what was in the container, but they finally told me. It was a satellite worth about 30 million! I did a lift for them 3 times. The last one was worth over 60 million, and I picked it from a shipping container and set it on a test fixture, then returned it to the case about two weeks later. They had me lift a test weight first each time. I wonder why?

Leave a comment:

• Ohio Mike
    replied
    Originally posted by Axkiker View Post
    Does anyone know the background on this guy. He has stated that he has a masters in mechanical engineering and I have no reason to question this. Based on his videos he has a smaller shop where he makes / machines parts for big pulling tractors.

From watching his videos hes got a mint tied up into this barn / shop. Extra thick concrete slab / in floor heat / overhead bridge crane etc etc. Does he have a "day" job that funds this??? Just curious as he has a lot of BIG toys and now a pretty $$ upcoming shop that I just cant see building tractor parts funding.

Just curious as i've been curious since I started making videos
    He works for a large John Deere dealer in Kentucky, does a little farming and also runs his shop. I've talked with him several times and what you see is what you get. He's not pissing away money on fancy trucks or cars or cloths. His money is in the farm and the shop.

Leave a comment:

• Axkiker
    replied
    Originally posted by RB211 View Post
    You just never know. Was flying with one pilot who's married to a famous doctor on TV and who used to own 5 Kobe beef ranches. I asked him bluntly, "why the hell are you a pilot?"
    Yes you never can tell its just something I have been curious about.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Originally posted by Highpower View Post
    I believe he mentioned that bridge crane sitting outside in the weather for quite some time while he was working on building his shop. From the amount of rust showing on those cables, I would venture a guess that it was sitting outside uncovered and getting rained on. That was his theory for the cable failure. Water got into the core and rusted the cable from the inside out. (His words.)

He showed where the casting that holds the motor had broken in half where it meets the main casting. That's going to be a lot of iron to have to weld up again. He's lucky the motor shaft and elevation shaft kept the motor casting from separating from the machine completely.

I also thought about how lucky he was that the cable didn't snap when he had the machine HALF WAY off of the trailer and flipped it horizontal or pivoted it more towards the front wall of his shop and taking down part of the structure with it.
    That would of made for a better video

Leave a comment:

• Highpower
    replied

He showed where the casting that holds the motor had broken in half where it meets the main casting. That's going to be a lot of iron to have to weld up again. He's lucky the motor shaft and elevation shaft kept the motor casting from separating from the machine completely.

I also thought about how lucky he was that the cable didn't snap when he had the machine HALF WAY off of the trailer and flipped it horizontal or pivoted it more towards the front wall of his shop and taking down part of the structure with it.
    Last edited by Highpower; 05-14-2017, 09:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Originally posted by Axkiker View Post
    Does anyone know the background on this guy. He has stated that he has a masters in mechanical engineering and I have no reason to question this. Based on his videos he has a smaller shop where he makes / machines parts for big pulling tractors.

From watching his videos hes got a mint tied up into this barn / shop. Extra thick concrete slab / in floor heat / overhead bridge crane etc etc. Does he have a "day" job that funds this??? Just curious as he has a lot of BIG toys and now a pretty $$ upcoming shop that I just cant see building tractor parts funding.

You just never know. Was flying with one pilot who's married to a famous doctor on TV and who used to own 5 Kobe beef ranches. I asked him bluntly, "why the hell are you a pilot?"

Leave a comment:

• Axkiker
    replied

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    Watching the video from the beginning shows much better how it was rigged and gives clues about possible warning signs. As mentioned above, it looks like the hoist is no longer actually lifting the machine, indicating that the cables may be stretching. I would not think the fiber core would contribute very much to the strength of the rope. It seems that the fiber core may be more important for holding oil as a lubricant and corrosion inhibitor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_rope

Looking for more information mostly shows fiber core wire rope to have greater flexibility but about 10% less strength for same size:

http://www.ashleysling.com/wire-rope-3.htm

http://www.truckntow.com/productspecs/WireRope.pdf

Hard to tell what size cable he used, but I would guess about 3/4" (about the size of his fingers), which would be 26 tons nominal strength. Elsewhere I saw that recommended working load is about 20% of that, or about 5 tons. There may have been at least two cables on the pulley, which would allow for 10 tons.

Leave a comment:

• quasi
    replied
    that is a huge Radial Arm drill, it looks fixable to me.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by plunger View Post
    A bit of jb weld and hes good to go.Do you think if it is fixable.?
    If the base,arm and column castings are undamaged,then probably yes with some determination and work.

Leave a comment:

• Dan_the_Chemist
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IanPendle
    replied
    lynnl,

He changes the chain on the same hoist onto a different sprocket to give himself a better (more favourable) ratio on the hoist.
    As someone who currently deprived of access to a workshop, I have been following this man on YouTube for long while. He is something of a 'character' and can be rather cavalier about safety issues from time to time - which is in no way meant to disparage the man - his achievement in converting an old wooden bar into a workshop literally single-handed is frankly amazing. Given the 'robust' nature of the man he will will bounce back from this setback and create his dream workshop . The world need more of folks like him who are prepared to get their hands dirty and make their dreams into a reality. I say kudos to him for posting this video so that others can learn from his mistakes!
    Last edited by IanPendle; 05-14-2017, 09:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X