Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Squaring up a part within .0002" on a knee mill.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pinstripe
    replied
    I've seen John Saunders from NYC CNC do that.

Here it is. It's to avoid deforming the part in this case.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycp-2cHgDNQ#t=3m15s
    Last edited by pinstripe; 05-17-2017, 01:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mcostello
    replied
    I have heard that on critical jobs that Guys use a torque wrench on the vise to insure repeat ability. Thought it was slightly bogus, maybe not.

Leave a comment:

• LKeithR
    replied
    Originally posted by Viperspit View Post
    Hi Highpower,

When the handle was long it would rest on the chip guard of the Y axis when in the open state. Sometimes if you are not paying attention and position the table in the X axis using the power feed the handle would get bound up on the saddle. I have seen machines that were damage by this in the past. Most places I worked at it was common practice to lop of the tear drop so that you would never run into this situation...
    Yeah, you only have to have it happen once to realize that the handle needs to be chopped off. Most of the vises that I have encountered over the years have had the handles shortened--at least those that are in working pro shops. I don't understand why Kurt--and other manufacturers--don't make them shorter to begin with.

And as for the rigidity of the fixed jaw of most vises it can be an issue. Put an indicator on the back of the jaw while you're clamping something and see how much it moves. I have a Kurt Versatile Lock vise and the fixed jaw and body are a one piece unit--no flex issues there...

Leave a comment:

• Viperspit
    replied
    Originally posted by Highpower View Post
    Gutsy move using a threaded arbor like that, I'll give you that.

Those Criterion heads & arbors don't come cheap. Any particular reason for lopping off the teardrop on the vise handle?
    Hi Highpower,

When the handle was long it would rest on the chip guard of the Y axis when in the open state. Sometimes if you are not paying attention and position the table in the X axis using the power feed the handle would get bound up on the saddle. I have seen machines that were damage by this in the past. Most places I worked at it was common practice to lop of the tear drop so that you would never run into this situation.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Highpower
    replied
    Gutsy move using a threaded arbor like that, I'll give you that.

Those Criterion heads & arbors don't come cheap. Any particular reason for lopping off the teardrop on the vise handle?

Leave a comment:

• Viperspit
    replied
    Here is part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upUYGTwD4Qk

Steve

Leave a comment:

• vpt
    replied
    Damn youtube, somehow got roped into watching heavy machinery fails then yacht fails then plane fails for an hour.

Leave a comment:

• Sparky_NY
    replied
    Originally posted by Highpower View Post
    Kurt put 4 up top on the new DX6 that replaces it. (D688)
    After your post I went and looked at the kurt website, there is indeed 4pcs of 7/16 bolts from the top down on that model. That leads me to believe the guy in the video's fix of adding a couple bolts from the top down does actually improve things. I did some googling after that video and was surprised to find that its pretty well known how far the rear jaw deflects under pressure. I wouldn't have ever guessed that !

Leave a comment:

• Highpower
    replied
    Kurt put 4 up top on the new DX6 that replaces it. (D688)

Leave a comment:

• Sparky_NY
    replied
    Very interesting. Of special interest was his adding the 2 bolts to the rear jaw on the kurt vise ! I would have never guessed a rigidity issue there.

Leave a comment:

• Viperspit
    started a topic Squaring up a part within .0002" on a knee mill.

Squaring up a part within .0002" on a knee mill.

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgl_NbQXshQ shows a method of squaring up a block on all sides within .0002". This is the first part in a multi part video on making a squareness checker.

Steve
Working...
X