No announcement yet.

OT: sawdust in gearbox, really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My old friend Mike the painter had a MKIII Ford Cortina with a really noisy diff his cure was to cut up an old Welly boot into strips and feed it into the filler hole on the diff, after a good drive around it all went quiet.... so he takes it back to the dealer he bought it from and PXed it for a newer motor.

Comment

A friend told me about a dodgy guy in Kansas City trying to sell a motorcycle that burned oil. A potential customer looked at it and wanted a short run to check it out. The owner said, "Sure". Now he'd drained the oil altogether so there wasn't anything to burn and expected that down the block and back would work without seizing up. The seller about had a stroke when the test ride headed about 6 blocks down the street.
      "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Most guys that chew Tabaco know that a little chew in the radiator will stop a leak.
        Depends on how cheap they are if they chew it first.

Hal

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye View Post
          Not auto related, but similar - was told by a Polish welder that an unscrupulous horse trader would rub a hot pepper on a tired old horse's butthole to perk it up just before the sale negotiations.
          Although i haven't seen it done I was told when I was young that sometimes a farmer with a horse that was balky and wouldn't behave would take a hot boiled potato, lift the horse's tail and shove it against the horse's arse. The horse would then do what all horses instinctively would do...clamp their tails tight to their body which only served to hold the hot potato in place until it cooled. Rather cruel but apparently it worked.

Back to automotive skullduggery. I've been told that with a clapped out automatic transmission where the friction material is so glazed over it slips drastically, all that was required to get it working for a short term was to drain the oil and refill it with brake fluid which would deglaze the plates. Once it started to perform normally the owner had a window of opportunity to trade it off.

Comment

Not auto related, but similar - was told by a Polish welder that an unscrupulous horse trader would rub a hot pepper on a tired old horse's butthole to perk it up just before the sale negotiations.
            Anyone that does that to an animal deserves to be treated to a jalapeno suppository, preferably the size and shape of a pineapple.

Comment

Yes,I have heard of sawdust and bananas being used.

One thieving crook of a used car lot owner near me used to pour Honey into engines to quiet them down because it was cheaper than STP oil treatment.He screwed over a young Russian immigrant I worked with that way.Sold him a car with a rod knock that only showed itself after he had changed the oil.Tried to return the car under the state's lemon law and he pointed out the words as is where is spelled out in very tall,very narrow letters on the bottom of the bill of sales so they looked like a barcode at a glance.Karma caught up with him though,he was found beat to death a year or so later,apparently somebody he screwed over didn't like his warranty policy.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                Yes,I have heard of sawdust and bananas being used.

One thieving crook of a used car lot owner near me used to pour Honey into engines to quiet them down because it was cheaper than STP oil treatment.He screwed over a young Russian immigrant I worked with that way.Sold him a car with a rod knock that only showed itself after he had changed the oil.Tried to return the car under the state's lemon law and he pointed out the words as is where is spelled out in very tall,very narrow letters on the bottom of the bill of sales so they looked like a barcode at a glance.Karma caught up with him though,he was found beat to death a year or so later,apparently somebody he screwed over didn't like his warranty policy.
                Gotta love "карма"!

Comment

I never saw anyone try to sell a car with sawdust in the transmission. But I remember as a kid watching reruns of The Andy Griffith Show and they had an episode where Barney bought his first car from an unscrupulous used car salesman that did just that - added sawdust to the transmission to quiet it down (temporarily). So apparently that was an old method of "fixing" a transmission temporarily.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0512451/

Comment

Originally posted by RichR View Post
                    Anyone that does that to an animal deserves to be treated to a jalapeno suppository, preferably the size and shape of a pineapple.
                    Agreed. Just related the info to show that low moral character isn't peculiar to just people selling cars.
                    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Agreed. Just related the info to show that low moral character isn't peculiar to just people selling cars.
                      I knew that. My comment was not aimed at the messenger, just the message.

Comment

Way back in my early 20's I took a job at the local Cenex farm supply as their farm fuels delivery truck driver. First they sent me t o Billings,Montana where their refinery was located to attend a school on the Cenex products and procedures. At one of the classes the instructor supplied us with a selection of various brands of oil filters, Fram, Purolator, AC, and several others. Then he had us saw them open with a hack saw. Inside we found the normal filter materials except for one, I think it was the Farm king brand, it was filled the small cotton pellets and Oats. He thought the reasoning was as the cotton got compacted, the oats would swell up and help refill the vacant area. And that was before we started importing every thing from China.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                        Oregon Coast

Comment

Might have seen sawdust in something way back when to quite it down,

can't remember but yeah way way back when it was "somewhat" common practice for hosers selling stuff.

gear oil in engines to silence a rod knock too, never heard of banana's as I would think at least the fruit part would be broken down to nothing in no time

Im sure they even got "technical" with what type of sawdust to use --- I could see oak taking quite a bit of punishment for awhile...

keep in mind some of it might have actually been legitimate attempts at a little extra longevity - back in the day when people were pouring their own babbit bearing material for their connecting rods maybe even milking an extra 100 miles out of the engine before you had to pull the pan and re-do your bearings was a huge plus, maybe means you could coast another 3 months or so if you organized your trips into town and made them all count for everything you needed to get by on...

Comment

Working...
                          X