Help identify hydraulic cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identify hydraulic cylinder

Ran across this at a flea market. Not sure if I suck but im sure you will let me know. 50.00

Weird thing is this cylinder doesnt really have any identification tag or label. The only numbers are in the casting. (5" TG3 UF1 G140)

Soooo we know its a 5" bore which is good. How can I identify the psi rating or even the stroke. It does have a sticker that gives the company name that serviced the cylinder but I would prefer not having to drag it to their shop for identification.

Any thoughts

[IMG][/IMG]

Actually it might a 5" stroke and 6" bore after measuring. Not sure

After looking at others in this sorta size online it seems awful beefy to only be a 3k psi cylinder. But I have no idea
    Last edited by Axkiker; 05-14-2017, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Looks like a pretty generic tie rod cylinder to me. Probably 3kpsi. Just pull the ram out to determine stroke.

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post
        Looks like a pretty generic tie rod cylinder to me. Probably 3kpsi. Just pull the ram out to determine stroke.
        Yeah I was just hoping to not tear it apart just yet. I agree it is prolly 3k psi but the cylinder ends just seem awful beefy for only 3k. I know very little about this stuff so im probably wrong.

Comment

That style is common in Ag Ind. I would guess it be good for 4000 psi.

Comment

Looks like a typical 3K PSI tie rod cylinder available at any farm store. You should be able to cycle the cylinder thru a full stroke by pushing/pulling on the rod. Not at all over built in my experience they take a real beating in the real world.
            Mike
            Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Looks like it could be an agricultural implement cylinder. Does the rod end have a clevis pin mount like the base? The spec. for those is 20.25" center to center for the mount pins when the cylinder is retracted, and an 8" stroke. They're usually rated for around 3k pressure, as most Ag. machines run at around 2k psi. Do you have some project in mind for this unit?

Comment

As has already been mentioned, this is a standard tie rod style hydraulic cylinder. Not a real steal at $50 but not a bad price either if all is well with the cylinder. It appears to not have much use on it so I'd bet on it being in good shape.

The weight and size of this sort of stuff is in fact a requirement of the loads imposed on it while in use. Don't forget that at 3,000 psi a five inch bore cylinder with a 1.5" dia. rod will have a pushing force of close to 59,000 lbs. and a pulling force of nearly 54,000 lbs.
                Light weight simply isn't an option.
                Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by tom_d View Post
                  Looks like it could be an agricultural implement cylinder. Does the rod end have a clevis pin mount like the base? The spec. for those is 20.25" center to center for the mount pins when the cylinder is retracted, and an 8" stroke. They're usually rated for around 3k pressure, as most Ag. machines run at around 2k psi. Do you have some project in mind for this unit?
                  Hydraulic press eventually. Just snagging parts here and there when I can.

I measured the pins at 1.250 and the rod at 2.0. I cant seem to find a 5" or 6" bore cylinder listed with those specs.

Comment

On page 9 in this pdf is part# 639286

http://www.monarchindustries.com/lio...yers_guide.pdf

5" bore, 8" stroke, 2" rod, and 1.25" pins with a 3000psi working pressure. No guarantee this is your make and model, just posting for comparison.

Note: bottom of page #9 has 5" cylinders with longer stroke options.
                    Last edited by tom_d; 05-14-2017, 06:24 PM. Reason: add note

Comment

Apply low pressure air to the ports to determine stroke.
                      I suppose if you put the thing in a bucket of water or light oil and pulled out the rod like a syringe and took it out full,
                      then carefully pushed the rod back out catching the liquid in a container and then weighing it, that you could calculate the bore and thus piston size. Easier to just pull and end and look.

metalmagpie

Comment

Originally posted by tom_d View Post
                        On page 9 in this pdf is part# 639286

http://www.monarchindustries.com/lio...yers_guide.pdf

5" bore, 8" stroke, 2" rod, and 1.25" pins with a 3000psi working pressure. No guarantee this is your make and model, just posting for comparison.

Note: bottom of page #9 has 5" cylinders with longer stroke options.
                        I did some measuring and the numbers listed hit it right on the money. This might not be the same brand but I would venture to say its the same model. I think for what im going to build this will be a really good candidate for press. 8" might not be an ideal stroke but for as little use as it will get here it will be fine.

At 3k psi that puts me a whisker under 30 ton.

Comment

Might be a Prince brand cylinder

Comment

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
                            Might be a Prince brand cylinder
                            I would bet that it is. Here is a listing for a new one that meets the same specs

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_23518_23518

If its a good cylinder I dont think I got hurt at 50 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Axkiker View Post
                              Hydraulic press eventually. Just snagging parts here and there when I can.

I measured the pins at 1.250 and the rod at 2.0. I cant seem to find a 5" or 6" bore cylinder listed with those specs.
                              That cylinder will probably handle anything you would want for a press. I built a log spitter years back with a 4 inch cylinder and a 3000psi pump. That produced a honest 20 tons force. Yours being 5 inch would do a fair amount above that, the calculation is easy if you desire. 3000 psi is pretty common for pumps and cylinders. So, unless you want a 100 ton press or something real big, that cylinder will handle what you want nicely. (over 20 tons) It will however take some careful consideration of the framework of the press to handle what that cylinder is capable of.
                              Last edited by Sparky_NY; 05-14-2017, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X