Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identify this Toyo lathe

Hi All,

Hope everybody is having a wonderful day. I have bought a lathe from local craigslist and trying to identify it so I can find out what tooling will go with it. The lathe has big inscription on the front as "Toyo Contact lens". It is a metric lathe and looks well made. Very rigid for it's size and heavy too. The seller a nice gentleman does not have any info on it's origins. He acquired it from his friend who worked as an engineer in an optical company back in 60s. It runs very smooth with little noise from spindle. Infact it is much quieter than my sherline lathe. The original toolholder mounts on the secondary slide and holds standard cutting tools. The main feed is .1mm/division (4mm per turn), the cross feed is .02mm/division (2mm/turn), secondary slide is .01mm/division, vertical adjustment is .02mm/division (1mm per turn). Came with a custom built table with magnetic tool holder and power supply. 115 VAC with a Bodine 1/8 HP motor and an assortment of pulleys to adjust the spindle speed. I have attached few pictures here. Any help in identifying this lathe would be great. It looks like a lens crafters lathe but I do not know if the spindle can take 5C collets/any collets. It came with a small sherline chuck. Also, would like to find out if there is a tailstock that can fit this lathe.

Pictures are here: https://goo.gl/photos/GhJf9UpY5dNVPABx6

Little bit about me: I am a longtime lurker on this amazing forum and working on building my first gauge1 steam locomotive. All my tools are very small. Sherline lathe and milling attachment are my primary tools for this hobby. I am space constrained and always on the look for smaller tools that I can hide in a closet and bring them out when I want to work on them. This lathe seems to be good fit to my needs and also rigid for it's size.

Thanks,
    Sri

That looks like an extremely specialized machine, and I doubt very much if it has a tailstock available. I don't know where it would go. It appears to be mainly intended for facing operations, which since it refers to contact lenses, is reasonable.

It looks as if it could be useful for a number of things, but it is certainly not a general purpose machine.
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

You could make custom buttons ;-)

Comment

That looks plenty rigid enough to do some fine machining- just not with length. As far as 'tooling' that might be made for it, I think you're out of luck- but you can adapt a chuck to it by making a backing plate to suit whatever chuck you would fit on it. That will of course take up much of the available carriage travel, so you'll need to get inventive. Is there a hole through the spindle?
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Thank you all for responding. I work with smaller sizes so length should not be a problem. as for tooling, may be I can make tool holder that can take a drill chuck. Yes there is a no through hole in the spindle but it has a tapered hole and a nut at the end. I will get a picture and post it here. I guess I have to get inventive as far as tooling is considered for this lathe.

Comment

You have bought a precision lathe there, BUT, always a BUT, it's going to be just about useless to you, unless you intend to do work on contact lenses.
            Looks like you bought the wrong lathe there, this is the sort of TOYO lathe you should have bought.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=T...w=1468&bih=955

Comment

It looks to me like cutter tooling would not be an issue- it appears that it will take standard hss cutters and it has a height adjustment. I wonder though about it being an optical lathe- how does it generate a curvature? Perhaps there is some compound action going on as you dial the cross slide- some effect on the carriage axis at the same time? What is it that makes it an optical lathe? It does have a fairly large throw it seems- can it make use of that or will it be limited by the height of the saddle? Perhaps you can modify the carriage to allow the cutting tool to be placed closer to the left side of the carriage-? Perhaps I could read up on the operation of this kind of lathe so I can stop talking useless ****-
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Not a Toyo but may help with the way it works -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5svyZhhXhsA
                Nev.

Comment

Do you have dimensions of the spindle nose? It looks much like the Toyo ML-1. Am I seeing a register there with three mounting holes?
                  Nev.

Comment

Don't think you will ever get that lathe to do anything else, other than what it was made to do.

Wrong lathe to do general purpose type work, better cut your losses and go buy something that will do the job you want it to do.

Comment

Contact lens lathe. The dial indicators are missing.

Comment

Thank you darryl and niftynev for the responses. Thank niftynev for the youtube link. That looks very similar in action. I will get the dimensions for the spindle and report back. The spindle has three mounting holes that are threaded and it came with a sherline chuck that can be mounted to the spindle. It also came with a crude drill chuck holder that can be mounted on the cross slide and used for drilling. I have added the pictures to here:

Comment

Thank you Rustybolt. I plan to add digital indicators to this lathe as readouts. It came with indicator holding clamps.

Comment

Ok, so within its capacity it's a ball turner lathe- inside or outside curves, round shapes, football shapes-

Lock the angle adjustment and it works like a normal lathe. Probably has a high spindle speed- ?

Comment

The spindle speed can be adjusted by changing an assortment of pulleys. The lathe is powered by 115 VAC with a Bodine 1/8 HP motor. I took few measurements of the spindle. The spindle bore diameter is 9.5mm. The external diameter is 20mm. The inside of the spindle is tapered with a through hole. I am not sure how to find out the taper type though. You are correct darryl. There is a locking pin that can be put in place to lock the angle adjustment at 0 degrees. Also, secondary slide on top of the radius turning unit, can also be fed and is .01mm/division. I have added couple of pictures showing the spindle face and the back.

How do I clean the ways? There slight gunk/discoloration on the main bed. Would a super fine grade #0000 steel wool and elbow grease do the job?
                              Last edited by coolgoose; 05-17-2017, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X