air conditioner pump use as compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post
    I'm not sure what it's called exactly... It's shaped like a tower, and not a bubble like a fridge compressor.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    If by a "tower" you mean a cylinder, maybe 8 inches diameter and about a foot and a half tall, that is a scroll compressor. Anyone that thinks there isn't much oil in one, has not had to clean it up when a junk unit is tipped on its side! As for the oil in the lines, there is indeed oil that circulates in the lines, its returning to the compressor is very important for proper AC operation. If the evaporator and condenser are separated by 20ft or more vertically, its common practice to put a trap at the evap to promote oil return to the compressor. I had a customer that had 4 compressors changed in about 3 years, thats insane, the reason was no trap at the evaporator and the condenser was on the roof, 3 stories up. After I installed the trap, and a new compressor, its been 4 years now and working fine. There are a LOT of people that think they know the refrigeration trade out there.

Inverter driven compressors are extremely rare except on mini split systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
      If by a "tower" you mean a cylinder, maybe 8 inches diameter and about a foot and a half tall, that is a scroll compressor. Anyone that thinks there isn't much oil in one, has not had to clean it up when a junk unit is tipped on its side! As for the oil in the lines, there is indeed oil that circulates in the lines, its returning to the compressor is very important for proper AC operation. If the evaporator and condenser are separated by 20ft or more vertically, its common practice to put a trap at the evap to promote oil return to the compressor. I had a customer that had 4 compressors changed in about 3 years, thats insane, the reason was no trap at the evaporator and the condenser was on the roof, 3 stories up. After I installed the trap, and a new compressor, its been 4 years now and working fine. There are a LOT of people that think they know the refrigeration trade out there.

Inverter driven compressors are extremely rare except on mini split systems.
      It's about 4" in diameter and 9" tall if I had to guess. And yes, I tipped mine over.... lots of mineral oil came out. I don't move mine around because of the potential mess factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post
        It's about 4" in diameter and 9" tall if I had to guess. And yes, I tipped mine over.... lots of mineral oil came out. I don't move mine around because of the potential mess factor.

Judging by the dimensions you guessed at, that is a very small compressor, far smaller than the typical 2-3 ton air conditioner scroll compressors. As such, I wouldn't expect it to pump much air at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
          Judging by the dimensions you guessed at, that is a very small compressor, far smaller than the typical 2-3 ton air conditioner scroll compressors. As such, I wouldn't expect it to pump much air at all.
          It fills my three gallon tank to 120 psi (I rarely need it that high, I just use it with a blowgun) in a few minutes. The original piston pump could fill it faster, but it was broken and probably a lot louder.

If any significant air volume is required I'll fire up the 60 gallon or pancake. Also have a hotdog style but that's on permanent loan for the time being.

Just something nice and quiet to use to blow oil out of a tapped hole or something. It cost me nothing to build so I can't complain. The tank was found on the side of the road.

Comment

When I was younger and essentials didnt include a new compressor I used a 2-cylinder Thermo King compressor for my air compressor. The cycle time on a 100 gallon tank was approx 6 minutes from 90 - 125. While it worked... I needed more. The problem was the intake was ported so in keeping with Detroit Diesels supercharger theory, I turned a flat pulley for a smog pump and used it for a belt tensioner. then used the output from the smog (AIR) pump to supercharge the compressor. It cut my cycle time in less than half and finally retired the pump 15 years later when i found a nice Quincy pump. I ran straight up 30wt. non-detergent oil in the crankcase.

Comment

Well, this is a 'tower' type, a 2 ton I believe. Looks like the capacitor is a two section, and one section is for the pump. There is a relay, but it appears to be on/off only and nothing is there to switch a start winding in or out, unless it's internal.

In years past I did use fridge compressors for air and for vacuum. They were slow on both counts. I expect this unit will be much quicker. I wonder how the capacity compares- if this one I have now is a 2 ton, what does that make a fridge compressor- 1/4 ton?
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                I wonder how the capacity compares- if this one I have now is a 2 ton, what does that make a fridge compressor- 1/4 ton?
                Something like that.

I got also 2 rotary compressors for "some project", I'm kind of curious to see how good vacuum the rotary/scroll compressor can pull. (Turns out out one of them was actually inverter driven permanent magnet synchronous motor and very much useless.)

Comment

Working...
                X