Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you call this rolling circle curve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you call this rolling circle curve?

Picture a round disk rolling on a plane. there's a fixed point in space the scribes a mark in the disk as it rolls by. In this case, the fixed point is around 1/2 way between the plane and disks centre and the shape of the curve it makes is reminiscent of a horse shoe.

What's the curve called so I can research it? I need to be able to draw it and burn it/machine it as a slot.

Thanks
    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

try 'trochoid' maybe 'cycloid', it's been a while.

Comment

Thanks Tony. One more thing to add to the memory bank for future use.

http://web.calstatela.edu/curvebank/...ds/oideg1.html

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Thanks for the link Dan - just bookmarked it!

Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

Comment

I was a bit disappointed that the examples did not exist anymore, however I beleive that the locus of a point on a rolling circle along a plane was a trochoid, funny name-oid.
          Oddly or coincidentally a Celtic neck band was called a torc, also horseshoe like
          (Haven't found one in the garden yet)
          Mark

Comment

Wikipedia has a good explanation, including diagrams, of the many forms of the trochoid...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trochoid

including the equations that describe the curves, which may be of help to the OP in generating his curve.
            Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
            http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
              I was a bit disappointed that the examples did not exist anymore, however I beleive that the locus of a point on a rolling circle along a plane was a trochoid, funny name-oid.
              Oddly or coincidentally a Celtic neck band was called a torc, also horseshoe like
              (Haven't found one in the garden yet)
              Mark
              Cursor further down the page for moving examples.

Mike

Comment

I'm look for the curved line a fixed point would trace on the disk as the disk rolls by - like this horse shoe slot in this self dumping hopper.

https://images.uline.com/is/image//c.../HD09_6779.jpg

Comment

Boy, that's a new one for me. I never saw that curve described before.

I suspect the designers of that hopper just traced the location of points on the curve one by one and connected them with a smooth, curved line.

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                  I'm look for the curved line a fixed point would trace on the disk as the disk rolls by - like this horse shoe slot in this self dumping hopper.

https://images.uline.com/is/image//c.../HD09_6779.jpg
                  Paul A.
                  SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                  You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Reminds me of the Spirograph kit I had as a kid. Drew all those examples hypotrochoids,epicycloids etc.
                    West Sussex UK

Comment

When I did Technical Drawing back in the 60s we were taught how to construct these curves. The point on the edge of the circle gave a different shape to a point set in from the edge. Also a properly formed gear tooth is shaped as part of a cycloidal curve.

Comment

Originally posted by Normanv View Post
                        When I did Technical Drawing back in the 60s we were taught how to construct these curves. The point on the edge of the circle gave a different shape to a point set in from the edge. Also a properly formed gear tooth is shaped as part of a cycloidal curve.
                        We were really lucky at the school I went, there was technical drawing, building drawing and geometric and engineering drawing, I picked all three but was told "they are all in the same group, pick one", I did and got thrown out of music and art so I was free to swap, I did not set fire to the music teachers piano while she was playing it, but I never denied it.
                        The headmaster knew it wasn't me but let it go.
                        Tee squares and compasses, building drawing was way more interesting than I thought, ionic, Corinthian and all that, drawing acanthus leaf capitals and arches, great.
                        They don't teach much at school these days.
                        Mark

Comment

I have heard the combustion chamber of a Wankel rotary engine described as an epitrochoid and that could be described as two horse shoes with the ends butted together so it sounds plausible that a trochoid could be just one horse shoe. Dunno.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                            Boy, that's a new one for me. I never saw that curve described before.
                            my bring bright young just graduated engineer figured it out and drew it and probably has burned a test one by now. He started to explain how but by then I was trying figure out who could fix one of the trucks and getting ready for a customer visit (its great gig for attention deficient).

Comment

Working...
                            X