No announcement yet.

What is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea those are a bit "heavier" than an 866 let alone an 866JRs , which I used in a bridge for the plate supply of a KW 6 meter linear back in the 60s somewhere. :-)
    ...lew...

Comment

My father in law was involved with the development of the anchored arc mercury rectifier, required for use on the London Underground. They tested the devices under load (1000V X 1000A) into a resistor bank on the roof of the building.
      The wiring was insulated with Asbestos, which was the cause of his death 45 years later.

Comment

Not a fun way to go either sorry to hear,

Wow very surprised at the kind of amperage these things held up too - so they used mercury as both a conductor and override limiter, what were the solid based contact made of? tungsten would be my first guess --------- ?

Comment

Sorry to read about his demise due to the wonderful asbestos, I've worked with it myself, no symptoms lung wise so I can't actually claim, I just get an X-ray annually, when I started in steel I had asbestos gloves, apron etc and we used asbestos rope to pack moulds, stuff was everywhere, 20 years on guys in space suits carry it on the end of a gripper, I do wish we knew how damaging it was, but I did wonder about the replacement, kaowool and ceramic fibre, after it's been exposed to molten steel temperatures that stuff is as dangerous as asbestos I'm informed.
          I worry about the rockwoool insulation in houses, if I work with it without a mask as you did when it appeared I'd be coughing for days, I got a mask fairly quick!, full face double filter and a box of hazmat suits as you call them, people I work for in lofts look at me silly taping up doorways if I move the stuff.
          With asbestos we removed it (lagging etc) we sprayed it with water/latex emulsion, actually pva glue to sick the dust down even though we were ripping it out, occured to me that would work on rockwoool in lofts so I gave it a go, hurray no airborne twinkles (shine a light to see it)
          As I've wandered OT as usual a self inflicted funishment, a word I might have made up but normally get beaten to it,
          FUNISHMENT
          https://youtu.be/QY6V2syGnZA

Comment

I am told that the rockwool is dissolved by your body, and disappears. The problem with asbestos seems to be that it is NOT dissolved, so it stays to be a problem.
            CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
              I am told that the rockwool is dissolved by your body, and disappears. The problem with asbestos seems to be that it is NOT dissolved, so it stays to be a problem.
              Further, I heard someone knowledgeable 20 years ago describing the mechanism for the problem. IIRC she said there were two kinds of asbestos, one that fractured transversely and one that fractured longitudinally. The longitudinal fracturing was the problem stuff. When a small bit of foreign matter gets into the lung and can't be expelled, the body tries to encapsulate it so it's not a continual aggravation. Fibers like glass, while not particularly good, can be successfully immobilized. The bad kind of asbestos can't be successfully immobilized because it continues to fracture and move with lung movement. The persistent attempt by the body to capture the fibers lead to extensive scar tissue and lung damage. I haven't tried to corroborate that explanation so take it for what it's worth.
              "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by wheeltapper View Post
                its a mercury arc rectifier..
                Impressive!
                in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

You people have got it all wrong, google "Dalek brain".

Comment

Not far from me there is a working example of this type of rectifier at MOTAT, a museum which runs several trams. The trams run all day and the rectifiers are on display. Quite an impressive devise.

This is the first Youtube hit I found, it looks like the museum chose the worlds most reflective glass for the cabinet....it gets better near the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLs3iQJLJyY
                    Last edited by Peter S; 05-17-2017, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X