X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post
    ........ You can do a good job resharpening end mills on a surface grinder using an inexpensive accessory. Don't bother dreaming about sharpening end mill sides.

metalmagpie
    Why would you bother sharpening the end cutting edges? They are end mills, not drills.

In real world use, 99% of the cutting is done on those side teeth that you advise "not dreaming about sharpening". Lots of people sharpen the sides. in some ways easier than the ends, although the smaller sizes would be harder to do than larger ones, like 3/4".

Leave a comment:

• metalmagpie
    replied
    I once got a very good deal on a Yao Ming tool and cutter grinder. Cincinnati clone, had every single accessory. With it I could do many things. Over the next several years I used it exactly once. Eventually I let it go.

I suggest you pass on the grinder. You can do a good job resharpening end mills on a surface grinder using an inexpensive accessory. Don't bother dreaming about sharpening end mill sides.

metalmagpie

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    opinions will of course be from each individuals paradigm, for me it would be a pass unless you had acres of space and the price was very low. Kind of looks like the limited specialized functionality of a Deckel SO but with a huge footprint. It lacks a primary T&CG function of a sliding table and head that can swivel.

As for sharpening endmills, my view and there will be dissenters, is its a not starter if you can't sharpen the peripheral helix. Unless plunging, end mills don't cut on the end, they cut on the side so unless you are willing grind away a huge of the bottom to get to a fresh area of the side, whats the point of sharpening the end? A great deal of the time I don't even bother sharpening the end.

To sharpen the outside helix, you really want to look for something with an air bearing or that you can add an air bearing to. Its true you can do the helix without an air bearing, but after having one, you'll be most of the way toward saying you can't

Leave a comment:

• Dlane
    started a topic Hager tool & cutter grinder

Hager tool & cutter grinder

Hi all , woundering if a Hager diamond tool / cutter grinder would be useful in the home shop, It is belt driven on a cabinet with motor under with a coolent tank / pump
    Hoping to sharpen end mills with it , any body have experience with one ?.
    Thanks
Working...
X