Hacked! a water filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacked! a water filter

So, being who I am, I've dissected one of those anti-bacterial water filters. It came to me for $2, so I couldn't resist, and it was used obviously. I had no idea of how long it might have been in service, whether it would still be serviceable, or whether it was full of crap or what. Turns out there's no hint inside that anything but pure water has gone through it- no discoloration, no sliminess, no evidence at all of any contaminants even in the first compartment. But it's apart, never to be reassembled again, and what I now have is a bowl full of damp carbon particles with a sprinkling of silver shards mixed throughout. According to the ingredient list it's .105% silver and 99.895% inert ingredient. Carbon particles I'm sure.

So- what can a guy use carbon particles for? All ideas welcome.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Maybe a source of carbon for case hardening?

Comment

Sounds like a good idea-
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

They are cook coconut fibre to make the carbon, it's activated charcoal so adsorbs gunk, silver is supposed to be antibacterial, I'm told it kills on contact, suppose silver spoons for baby's were a good idea.
        You can use it to harden or case harden steel, pack hardening
        Mark

Comment

And supposedly a silver coin in a pitcher of milk would stop it spoiling as fast

Comment

Filter your vodka or moonshine trough the activated charcoal.

Comment

Hmm- I wonder what that would do for beer?

Comment

Use it in a miniature barbecue...

Geo.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                  Maybe a source of carbon for case hardening?
                  Sorry missed that, I must learn to read!
                  Mark

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                    So, being who I am, I've dissected one of those anti-bacterial water filters. It came to me for $2, so I couldn't resist, and it was used obviously. I had no idea of how long it might have been in service, whether it would still be serviceable, or whether it was full of crap or what. Turns out there's no hint inside that anything but pure water has gone through it- no discoloration, no sliminess, no evidence at all of any contaminants even in the first compartment. But it's apart, never to be reassembled again, and what I now have is a bowl full of damp carbon particles with a sprinkling of silver shards mixed throughout. According to the ingredient list it's .105% silver and 99.895% inert ingredient. Carbon particles I'm sure.

So- what can a guy use carbon particles for? All ideas welcome.
                    Sprinkle it in your boots !!!!

JL................

Comment

Sprinkle it in my boots Hey, then I wouldn't have to wear socks!

Comment

Some time ago I did some experiments with various sands and pulverized materials, using epoxy as a binder. I did try some carbon particles at that time, and it made a nice-looking finish. Lay on some epoxy, sprinkle on the carbon particles, dump the excess off, then lay on more epoxy and let it self-level. Perhaps something like this could become a solar energy absorber-

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                          Filter your vodka or moonshine trough the activated charcoal.

Good corn liquor doesn't need to be filtered.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustybolt View Post
                            Good corn liquor doesn't need to be filtered.
                            amen
                            san jose, ca. usa

Comment

Working...
                            X