X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highpower
    replied
    Originally posted by flylo View Post
    I saw a guy make $20 years ago on a motorcycle chain that kept coming off, he sid for $20 he'd cure it so he pushed it in the shop shut the door & put the clip on so the closed end was in front when moving. For some reason the owner had kept putting it on backward.
    Hahaha. Reminds me of an older model Ford Mustang I fixed like that once. Guy comes in complaining that his car is running REAL bad, won't idle, and stinks of fuel. We walked out into the parking lot and lifted the hood. Told him to start it up after I removed the air cleaner. Looking down into the primary's I could see the fuel dumping into the intake like a waterfall. Told him "I'll be right back" and went to retrieve a plastic hammer from my toolbox. Went back to the car and gave the carb a couple of raps on the float bowl. The engine slowly cleared out and established a steady idle - purring like a kitten again. Put the air filter back on, closed the hood, and started walking away as I told him "No charge..."

He just stood there for several minutes with his jaw on the ground and the deer in the headlights stare. Made my day.

Leave a comment:

• Dave C
    replied
    Originally posted by j.bain87 View Post
    Oh heaven forbid if you just used a metric bolt.
    30 years of saving bolts, nuts and screws, and it seems that I can never find the one I need.

Quote wierdscience: "Good save,some percentage of being a machinist requires the ability to make chicken salad out of chicken s--t. "

An added bonus, it added another dollar to the wife's write off cost of the lathe.

Leave a comment:

• paul463
    replied
    Break chain once and use one of these from then on.

I've had one on my 29er bike for the past six years.

Leave a comment:

• softtail
    replied
    Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    That was my first thought nice save though!

You can't replace a chain by simply taking apart derailleur. It has to be 'broken' and fished through frame 99% of the time.

Leave a comment:

• Royldean
    replied
    Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
    Not in derailer type gears. Been like that for last 50 years
    Both my cannondales had master links....

Leave a comment:

• wdtom44
    replied
    Master links for narrow bike chains are now available and are common on high end stuff. I use one on my 10 speed cluster 20 speed mountain bike. I think it was about 20 years they first came out. You may have to "break" the chain the first time, then put in and use the master link.

Leave a comment:

• flylo
    replied
    Originally posted by awemawson View Post
    All the bicycle chains I've played with had a removeable link held in place with a hairpin clip the open end of which had to trail.

Don't they fit them these days?
    I saw a guy make $20 years ago on a motorcycle chain that kept coming off, he sid for $20 he'd cure it so he pushed it in the shop shut the door & put the clip on so the closed end was in front when moving. For some reason the owner had kept putting it on backward.

Leave a comment:

• MattiJ
    replied
    Originally posted by awemawson View Post
    All the bicycle chains I've played with had a removeable link held in place with a hairpin clip the open end of which had to trail.

Not in derailer type gears. Been like that for last 50 years

Leave a comment:

• awemawson
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mattthemuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by RB211 View Post
    I always took apart the derailer instead of messing with the chain
    That was my first thought nice save though!

Leave a comment:

• dave_r
    replied
    He already is suffering by having to use a wrench to turn the bolt!

Leave a comment:

• j.bain87
    replied
    Oh heaven forbid if you just used a metric bolt.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    I always took apart the derailer instead of messing with the chain

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Good save,some percentage of being a machinist requires the ability to make chicken salad out of chicken s--t

Leave a comment:

• Dave C
    started a topic A case of you get what you pay for

A case of you get what you pay for

I bought this bicycle chain repair tool to open up the chain so I could install a new derailleur on my bike. I knew it was probably junk since it only cost $6, as opposed to decent ones that go for $15 and up, but it only needed to work once, and probably never get used again. Also it was available at the local wallyworld. No big surprise, it didn't even make it through one iteration before the push pin broke. Luckily I found a 5/16-24 bolt and whipped up a replacement that worked like a charm, and should last well beyond my time with this bike. Not much of a machining operation, just retapped the metric hole for the sae bolt, ran the thread down to the bolt head, and turned the end down to the pin diameter.

Working...
X