Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow is this well made or what? talk about heavy duty!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vpt View Post
    His plasma tube notcher is kind of neat.
    I agree...

The bbq table is pretty slick too.

Comment

Originally posted by softtail View Post
      I agree with your design assessment, but to be fair he did harden the jaws.

Did he? I saw him weld them up from what sure looked like A36 mild steel flatbar, then heat them up and quench them.
      If that is the case, they are still soft.

Comment

Wow life and pleasing some people can be almost physically and emotionally bordering on impossible. When you consider the endless problems in this world it is refreshing to see a few sad people either just trying to pick a childish KAMPF over something so harmless ,I am glad some of you guys have nothing worrying you more than popping a blow in my rather deliberately dementiated direction . I genuinely would apologise if it were worth while doing so but it just seems like taking time to pour out meaningless puerile dribble brings warmth and comfort to some with nothing better to do.
        I still remember the time when even meaningless posts such as mine I am proud to admit regularly are , were just accepted or even better ignored. But hey! we have an allied infiltration, or influx, of what we call in Scotland *Old sweetie wives,* . Now I genuinely did not mean to cause such a massive irrelevant stir, it would be funny if it were not really a little pathetic . My thoughts go out to you and yours and I hope you so deeply afflicted get better sooner than later. wow wow wow wow wow.
        The phrase get a life springs to the forefront of my thoughts but it won't last long. The problem is now you the righteous need to remain on constant best behaviour a monumental task given your lack of acceptance of other less perfect creatures like poor old me, My real problem is and has always been with the great, but touchy, Is I DONT GIVE A two penny dam and just as you have noticed continue in the same old enjoyable (TO ME ) behaviour that irritates those of a weaker intolerant disposition . And again as usual, my prayers for a very speedy recovery. God bless you all Alistair
        Last edited by Alistair Hosie; 05-20-2017, 03:05 PM.
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie View Post
          Wow life and pleasing some people can be ......... almost impossible
          Fixed it for you.....

Yep, some folks would complain if you heat them with a new piece of pipe.

"There's no pleasing these serpents".

If you know the quote, you're OK. If you can't place it, well................. See how easy it is to set up something on which to judge people?
          4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

I would have preferred a more descriptive title or in the body of the post, and frankly I would not have watched the video were it not for some of the comments that piqued my interest. It is an interesting video, well done, and shows some good techniques. I have not tried welding and this may inspire me to fire up my little HF welder and give it a shot, although it certainly won't work for heavy material such as this.

I like the demonstration of using scrap pieces to build something one might not consider possible or practical, but certainly shows what can be done, although perhaps not what should be done. Comments here and on YouTube identify some possible problems with the design, and I tend to agree. The laminated construction might have been greatly strengthened by drilling holes and pinning the pieces together with tight-fitting steel rods or perhaps tapered pins. The dovetail replaceable jaws look like a good feature, but I don't know how strong they may be. There is probably enough plastic deformation and friction under high clamping force that they aren't going anywhere. The demonstration of strength by sitting on a cantilevered bar seems impressive, but far more stress is likely to be exerted when hammering on stock gripped in the jaws, and that will also tend to cause fatigue and cracks that may eventually fail.
            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

I just took a brief flick down some of the topic titles most of them are pretty well ambiguous as to the content IMHO. Seems though I am incorrect though mine was the one which broke the camels back. I am pleased to say. You know in comparison with the amount of stuff I used to write Quantity wise I am really seldom here and still I am perhaps here too often for the irritated few. LOL Anyway they better get used to it, good bad or indifferent and always eager to please. LOL Alistair

Comment

Alistair: I, for one appreciate you bringing this video for our edification. I agree with Forrest that mild steel doesn't make a good vise. Like everyone of us, I have used mild steel for lots of one time fixtures. I think that the video presentation was one of the best I have seen. I know that his welding, is far better than mine. All in all, it is worth the viewing time.

Thanks
                Sarge

Comment

Yes Sarge That is a good point I have only ever seen one man before who could weld like that and he was a lecturer at a college in Renfrew paisley and was imminently due for retirement having been a welder all his life including working in the shipyards in Glasgow. Many thanks to those who have been gracious enough to cheer me up with my your very welcome and kind comments, and a genuine apology to those I have upset or who did not enjoy my wording, presentation or what I saw in the video or the way I presented it , apart from saying I as most of you know am no engineer just do it to keep myself busy and for enjoyment ,I suppose I liked the fact it was so big and powerful and looked well made to me. To most of you I cannot expect to be in your league after the small amount of hours I have devoted however enthusiastically even twenty years on . Alistair

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie View Post
                    Wow life and pleasing some people can be almost physically and emotionally bordering on impossible. When you consider the endless problems in this world it is refreshing to see a few sad people either just trying to pick a childish KAMPF over something so harmless ,I am glad some of you guys have nothing worrying you more than popping a blow in my rather deliberately dementiated direction . I genuinely would apologise if it were worth while doing so but it just seems like taking time to pour out meaningless puerile dribble brings warmth and comfort to some with nothing better to do.
                    I still remember the time when even meaningless posts such as mine I am proud to admit regularly are , were just accepted or even better ignored. But hey! we have an allied infiltration, or influx, of what we call in Scotland *Old sweetie wives,* . Now I genuinely did not mean to cause such a massive irrelevant stir, it would be funny if it were not really a little pathetic . My thoughts go out to you and yours and I hope you so deeply afflicted get better sooner than later. wow wow wow wow wow.
                    The phrase get a life springs to the forefront of my thoughts but it won't last long. The problem is now you the righteous need to remain on constant best behaviour a monumental task given your lack of acceptance of other less perfect creatures like poor old me, My real problem is and has always been with the great, but touchy, Is I DONT GIVE A two penny dam and just as you have noticed continue in the same old enjoyable (TO ME ) behaviour that irritates those of a weaker intolerant disposition . And again as usual, my prayers for a very speedy recovery. God bless you all Alistair
                    Its very minor thing, don't make it more than it is. No one (afaik) is irritated, nor is a apology even remotely required and the video was on topic. As for bigger problems, are we only allowed to discuss say the middle east or global poverty because its a bigger problem? Sorry, that argument doesn't work. Almost of all of page one has titles that describe the threads so its not a big deal or difficult. No malice here, just a gentle request.
                    Last edited by Mcgyver; 05-20-2017, 07:07 PM.
                    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

He sure did make a nice looking vice shaped thing.

I often wonder why so much machinery is made of cast iron as opposed to being built up as weldments. In this case he put 100 lbs of steel into the project, but from the video I could not decide whether it was properly built. The MIG welding process is known for it's ability to lay good looking beads on heavy metal without getting it hot enough to fuse properly. Grinding down the weld makes it impossible to evaluate from a distance.

But it sure looks pretty.
                      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Pffff!
                        92 lbs. My 6" Starret is forged and weighs 200lb!

Comment

I think it was actually 92 kg, about the same as your Starrett.
                          http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest Addy View Post
                            Loser design. A backyard weld shop's impressive looking under performer suited for light clamping but a failure waiting to happen when challenged by hammer work or heavy clamping. For example, who hasn't use a vise as a press?

And why is the ironwork 1/2" plate laminated endlessly when solid plate sculpted with plasma torch and grinder would not only be stiffer and stronger but quicker to shape.

The adjustable replaceable jaws are a nice feature but they are soft; soon to wear.

Nope, Nice workmanship wasted on a bum design. I'm not impressed at all.

I had a chance to watch the full vid and could not agree more, it's 97% loose plate just waiting to fail at the weld joints when pressure or impact are applied,

great vid - pretty wrapper, junk vise...

Comment

Working...
                            X