No announcement yet.

got a new lathe from grizzly ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a 20kW Kohler generator for my cabin in Minnesota.
    The company that delivered it was supposed to place it on the concrete slab where it would live.
    Problem was nobody told the driver. The generator came from a dealer in Minneapolis and was delivered to my off the grid cabin 300 miles away. No where to get any help.
    I put the bucket forks on my little John Deere tractor and by golly it lifted that 3000# load, barely.
    I had to keep the engine at a high RPM to have enough hydraulic power.
    Since then I have used that tractor to lift the back of a dump truck (empty) to repair a flat tire.
    Moral is find some one with a tractor with bucket forks
    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

thanks for the info do you guys have a picture of a lathe and a engine host piking it up thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Brett Hurt View Post
        thanks for the info do you guys have a picture of a lathe and a engine host piking it up thanks
        13x40 from my truck to the driveway:

I unloaded it by myself, but be advised that is no light weight, Harbor Freight engine hoist. It's home built from 3/16" wall, 3" x 5" tubing. it rolls on 6" wheels up front and 6" swivel casters at the rear, all are rated for 1000 lbs.
        Make sure your slings are not positioned where they can put pressure on the lead/feed/control shafts. I used 2 chain hoists to keep the load level.
        Last edited by Dave C; 05-21-2017, 03:24 AM.
        “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

What I hate about my engine hoist is that the legs are ALWAYS in the way

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
            What I hate about my engine hoist is that the legs are ALWAYS in the way
            That's going to be the case with any floor based lift though. Because I've got the engine hoist the tools and studs naturally ended up being spaced to working with the legs of the hoist. So I don't find that the hoist is any trouble.
            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

When rigged as above the lathe is top heavy and can rotate with it sliding round in the slings. Two simple improvements. Take a full turn round the bed with the strop near the headstock to increase friction. More importantly put a stout bar through the spindle and through the strop then tie them together at this point. This puts a constraint on it revolving.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave C View Post
                13x40 from my truck to the driveway:
                My lathe wanted to rotate when lifted like that. The motor is heavy and way off center. Another strap around the motor to the pickup stabilized it.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                X