• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doctor demo
    replied
    Originally posted by polaraligned View Post
    UPS ground service will go up to 150#.
    UPS has a freight division also- and they are not cheap.
    I forgot that I knew that, must be because I'm cheap.
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• polaraligned
    replied
    Originally posted by doctor demo View Post
    Unless UPS changed their policy very recently the lathe will not be transported by UPS, I believe they have something like a 70 pound limit.
    UPS ground service will go up to 150#.
    UPS has a freight division also- and they are not cheap.

Leave a comment:

• polaraligned
    replied
    Most freight drivers seem OK and have been willing to help me in the past. If you have a clean run to your garage, then smack him with a crisp $20 and ask him to help you pull it into the garage. A pallet jack is the right tool to move the lathe when you get it on it's shipping skid, a cherry picker is a choice to raise the lathe onto it's stand or the bench. Engine hoists are not good to move lathe's any notable distance on asphalt or other surface that is not very smooth.

Leave a comment:

• doctor demo
    replied
    Originally posted by Brett Hurt View Post
    So when it comes with the lift gat will they help me get in the garage per ups. Or tell me how to do this
    Unless UPS changed their policy very recently the lathe will not be transported by UPS, I believe they have something like a 70 pound limit.
    I guess if it was sent disassembled and in several boxes, a smallish lathe could come UPS.
    Whatever freight company delivers the lathe, a monetary ''tip'' to the driver may help get your goods put at least close to where you want if the driver has a pallet jack on the truck with him.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Dave C
    replied
    Originally posted by Brett Hurt View Post
    So when it comes with the lift gat will they help me get in the garage per ups. Or tell me how to do this
    I wouldn't look for much help from UPS.

Leave a comment:

• MikeL46
    replied
    Do you have a cherry picker? Or know anyone who does have one. That is what I used to move mine. Lifting from the top is much safer than rollers under the lathe.

Use good straps and check the lathe is lifting true and is secure. Use spreader bars to ensure the straps can't shift and let the lathe slide down to one end. Double check the straps before you get more than an inch off the ground. Leave it close to the ground as you move it. Only lift it high when you are readys to set it in place.

Did you get cabinets for under the lathe? Or will you mount it on a bench?

In either case, prepare the place for the lathe first. Assemble the cabinet and make sure you have clear access. Then go for it.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Brett Hurt
    started a topic got a new lathe from grizzly ????

got a new lathe from grizzly ????

So when it comes with the lift gate will they help me get in the garage? Coming ups. Or tell me how to do this.
    Last edited by Brett Hurt; 05-19-2017, 06:25 PM.
Working...
X