Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sold my old 13X40 Enco to a Darwin Award winner...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sold my old 13X40 Enco to a Darwin Award winner...

It took me, my wife, and the guy I sold the lathe to to get the Enco on the back of the flatbed. I asked him if he'd like me to follow him home and help him set it up. "No, I'm good" was his reply. This afternoon he sends me half a dozen swearing emails and a picture of my old baby laying on its side. He did admit "it's not your fault"...but to see the lathe on the ground was ufortunate. He pounded Red Bulls the three hours it took me to jack it up so we could get the 4x4s underneath and talked about watching machinist videos on youtube. Happy to send you a picture of the disaster if you have an email address.

Since I have a Enco 13x40 I will say a prayer. You can also send pics to [email protected]

Comment

You're a saint - 3 hours of your time & sweat & experience to fix his mistake! How sweet it would have been to have told him "I'm a professional machine wright and I can't make it a practice of giving my time away - it sets a really bad precedent. But you can hire me for $100 an hour."

Comment

I think he would only be a darwin award winner if he dropped the lathe on his head or on his nuts. But his future is full of potential

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Comment

When I purchased my 13 X 40 JET lath, I backed the trailer (the lathe was on) into my garage. Lifted it off the trailer with a chain hoist, pulled the trailer out, and set the lathe on the floor, know problem.

Bridgeport turret mills, I hire a local tow truck to do the lifting.
          So much to learn, so little time

Comment

When I bought my mill, the machinery dealer used a forklift to set it on the trailer and helped us to brace and chain it in place. Got it home and the local lumberyard sent over a bobcat with forks to lift it one inch above the trailer while we drove it out from under, then set it just inside the garage door. Pipe rollers and a pinch bar got it to where it lives now. With my 13x40 lathe, the mechanic I do business with in town moved it from one side of town to the other with his forklift and got it into the garage for me.
            David Kaiser
            “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
            ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

He did admit "it's not your fault"
              That's too bad...I get the feeling somehow he was initially was suggesting it wasn't his fault?

I think you went above and beyond the call offering to follow him home. No way I would wasted my time after the 1/2 dozen swearing emails going over there....you are too nice
              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Brett Hurt View Post
                ...I asked him if he'd like me to follow him home and help him set it up. "No, I'm good" was his reply. This afternoon he sends me half a dozen swearing emails and a picture of my old baby laying on its side...
                He isn't a Darwin Award winner... just a contestant, and a loser at that. To be a winner one has to permanent remove one's self from the gene pool. He failed, as attested to by the string of emails. Now, a picture with him under the unfortunate lathe... No, forget that, I shouldn't wish that on anybody. Shame.
                Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Originally posted by 38_Cal View Post
                  When I bought my mill, the machinery dealer used a forklift to set it on the trailer and helped us to brace and chain it in place. Got it home and the local lumberyard sent over a bobcat with forks to lift it one inch above the trailer while we drove it out from under, then set it just inside the garage door. Pipe rollers and a pinch bar got it to where it lives now. With my 13x40 lathe, the mechanic I do business with in town moved it from one side of town to the other with his forklift and got it into the garage for me.
                  I moved mine with a cherry picker. lol However I wasn't brave enough to lift it off the trailer with the picker, I used the hoist for that. I just moved it into its location with the picker and the mill just off the floor.
                  Andy

Comment

I moved mine about 60 feet across the shop. Bolt on caster dolly under tail end. Single pallet jack under the business end... 3700 lbs..

I dont think the buyervreally blames the seller.. He was just really POd, and sent a few emails in anger.

I knew an old machinist that worked in the machine shop on the Revelstoke dam project during construction.
                    I think he was setting up the shop. They bought a lathe of Thomas Skinner and Son...new were bringing it in on a truck. I think it was like24 inch or better and longish.
                    Anyway, truck gets to site, asks where to unload, and turns around on the gravel lot. Not sure if they slacked the straps. As he turned the lathe tipped over.. I asked how bad..he said broken handwheels, levers..probably more....... It went back with the truck..

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye View Post
                      Now, a picture with him under the unfortunate lathe... No, forget that, I shouldn't wish that on anybody. Shame.
                      That's what you would see in a good action movie. The hero would leap across the screen in slow motion yelling "Noooooooooooooooooooo" as
                      he throws himself in the nick of time between the lathe and the ground.

Wow, this stuff practically writes itself.

Comment

I say post the picture. People who take casually, moving machinery, need to see what might happen.

Comment

Originally posted by RichR View Post
                          Wow, this stuff practically writes itself.
                          The script writers will have it exploding in a ball of fire as it flips over.
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

IMHO It could have been much worse. At least it wasn't a "REAL" lathe. Darwin canidates don't know the difference. LOL I've been downsizing & bought 2 cases of 10k 2" Erikson straps as people show up with thing that wouldn't hold a motorcycle. If they're nice they're free, for jerks $20. I've never let anyone leave without being safe.
                            Last edited by flylo; 05-20-2017, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Seven or eight years ago someone pulled this model lathe (or its then equivalent) over on himself (500 pounds) - maybe while trying to level it:

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2017/main/539?p=539

His ankle was badly injured, he went through surgery(ies), protracted rehabilitation, and a chunk of time in a wheel chair. The lathe was damaged, but reparable. After repairs, he used the lathe for a while, then decided he didn't like the repetitive nature of turning the handwheels, abandoned his projects and sold the machine.

He related his story on a few machining sites, including this one, I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X