Machine operation characteristics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine operation characteristics

As a hobbyist whose machine experience was from long ago and not all that long in duration, correct machine "response and feel" is always a
    guessing game.

I truly enjoy YouTube for the ability to hear and see some characteristics but, obviously, no feel.

One thing I always puzzle about is the feel of my mill when feeding.
    I can feel every time a cutting edge enters the material and can't decide if that's acceptable and what causes it.

Is it normal to feel such sensations?
    Is it the POS mill or POS operator?
    Len

The force required to move a bit through air is a lot different than the force required to move a bit through metal.

Comment

Part of the feel depends on the size of the equipment.

A small Seig X1 benchtop mill is less than 100 pounds and the table is relatively small, maybe 15 pounds, maybe a bit more. A bridgeport may have a 100 pound table. The bigger one is much less likely to transmit the feeling to the handwheel.

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

There is very much a feel back through the lead screw handle. But if I feel a distinct bump I figure it's usually because there's some runout and one tooth is doing the lion's share of the work. On end mills where all the teeth are running evenly I feel something but it's not a tooth by tooth feel. Well, unless it's a larger diameter multi tooth cutter. Then I can feel some of the "each tooth" feel due to lower speed.

Flycutters, of course, very much do have a one bite per rev feel. If your multi tooth cutters feel too much like that then I'd check for sizable runout.
        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

The sharpness of the end mill will also change the feel. I new , sharp mill will cut quite smoothly and quietly for a while. Once the mill starts to wear it will run a little rougher and thus transmit more vibration.
          Larry - west coast of Canada

Comment

Working...
          X