Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Proud to be a HSM'er and the road it took me on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't give up! I about over my fascination with cutting edge PC technology and have sworn off Windows. When this PC goes to heaven, I'll use nothing but a tablet. That's why I mentioned it. I don't want a bunch of converter boxes for something that's already mainstream technology for electronic products. Look forward, not backward.

I remember someone coming on here about 10 or so years ago looking for funding for a new radical motorcycle design. I now see commercials for it on TV so at least it got off the ground. Some of the old timers here should remember this.

https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/?redirect=false

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
      4 grand later on and you still have absolutely zero guarantee that you get the product. This is crowd funding, not "buy it now"
      Pardon my pessimistic view of life but I have seen gazillion of these crowd funding projects to vanish with the money. Indiegogo is one of the worse if you ask me..
      If it was 2 grand "buy it now" I wouldn't complain(nearly as much.)
      It is disappointing to read your comments because I have had a number of very good purchases from crowd funding sources. My first purchase was a 3D printer for my son. It has worked out superbly, the company is now selling online. Purhaps the best crowd sourced purchase was a product called "iKommunicate Gateway". I am very pleased to be one of the first adopters as I received a great product plus helped a young company get successfully started.

Crowd sourced funding is certainly not for everyone as you do need to do your own research and you need to be smart enough to pick the right products. I will certainly give this product a through analysis to see how it will fit into my shop.

i certainly hope others will do the same and not be turned off by negative comments that are not supported by any facts just opinions.

Good Luck with your product launch.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Greg View Post

Crowd sourced funding is certainly not for everyone as you do need to do your own research and you need to be smart enough to pick the right products. I will certainly give this product a through analysis to see how it will fit into my shop.

i certainly hope others will do the same and not be turned off by negative comments that are not supported by any facts just opinions.

Good Luck with your product launch.

Greg
        Thank you for your post.
        If there is any information you need or details you find lacking please feel free to let me know, I will gladly share all I can to allow users to make an informed decision.

Kind regards
        Kobus Coetzee
        If you are using violence and it does not work, You are not using enough or it is upside down.
        You can always just EDM it...

Comment

It's pretty hit & miss. Some work out fine, the product is delivered fairly close to the original completion date, some eventually ship years late, some the people just keep giving out bogus updates and never actually get anywhere.

One I backed, the guy dicked around so long trying to get the "best"components, the main component (a heat sensor) wound up being discontinued, and there was nothing else with similar capabilities & cost to do it.

Another one, they supposedly had the prototype wireless earpieces "almost" complete during the campaign. Pictures and everything. Turned out the prototype didn't work very well, and now, 3 years later, they doing a every one or two month "update" consisting of "we're almost done. we expect to manufacture them in about a month or so".

Unless you personally know the people, you really have no idea if they are capable of actually completing the project at all, let alone close to the time line they specify. Personally, I am wary of both really unprofessional campaign pages, as well as uber-professional pages,where there are really fancy videos (where they put a ridiculous amount of time and effort into them to get you to pay up, the people wind up being either running out of money trying to make something perfect or they are just straight-up scamming you).

Comment

Didn't AvE do a crowd funded EDM which didn't according to another thread here a while back?
            Mark

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
              Didn't AvE do a crowd funded EDM which didn't according to another thread here a while back?
              Mark
              That what I was also thinking.
              There is some others also eg.:
              https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/b...uctive-resin#/

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                Sort of. He was asking people to donate through Patreon. It wasn't through one of the crowd funding web sites, and I don't think he ever officially announced that it's dead.

Best of luck to the OP, but I think it's going to be tough to get backers for this. It's a substantial sum to put down. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any mention of what would happen if you only raised $20K, $50K, $100K, etc? That would be my main concern if I was interested in this. What is the minimum you have to raise for people to get their product? I can understand if you don't want to answer the question in a public forum, but that is the question your potential backers may be asking themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripe View Post
                  Sort of. He was asking people to donate through Patreon. It wasn't through one of the crowd funding web sites, and I don't think he ever officially announced that it's dead.

Best of luck to the OP, but I think it's going to be tough to get backers for this. It's a substantial sum to put down. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any mention of what would happen if you only raised $20K, $50K, $100K, etc? That would be my main concern if I was interested in this. What is the minimum you have to raise for people to get their product? I can understand if you don't want to answer the question in a public forum, but that is the question your potential backers may be asking themselves.
                  Hi

Pinstripe thank you for raising that question,
                  That situation has been bothering me as well, I will post an statement on the Indiegogo page later to put backers minds at ease but since you asked the question.
                  $600 000 is the goal but I can still go ahead with product with a way lower value, just not completely the way I would like.
                  Raising less just puts a strain on the equipment I can get, but on the other hand raising less also means lower volumes thus I don't need fast and more costly equipment.
                  Unfortunately I can not put down a value like $100 000 will work but $99 000 will not since there are to many variable that can throw the whole thing out like the exchange rate.
                  So at the end of the campaign based on the amount of units I need to fill and the ZAR USD exchange rate I will have to do another cost estimation.

If I can not go ahead and deliver the quality product I promised in the time frame I promised it, I will cancel the campaign BEFORE Indiegogo pays out thus all backers receive a full refund.

I never want to be in a position that I waist backers time and money and destroy my own reputation in the process.
                  If you are using violence and it does not work, You are not using enough or it is upside down.
                  You can always just EDM it...

Comment

Working...
                  X