Slitting Across A Hole For Expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
    Steel has twice as much "stiffness" or Young's modulus compared to brass.
    Average brass and steel are quite similar in both yield strength and ultimate tensile strength.
    Maube a poor choice of words, I didn't talk about hardness, more to do with ductility. Brass in usually supplied condition is hard and doesn't like to bend but crack, it has to be annealed as someone pointed out.
    Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by larry_g View Post
      Take a look at the threads on the plug your screwing in there. Are the threads nice and smooth or a bit rough? You might find the rough threads are part of your problem...

lg
      no neat sig line
      The threads feel pretty smooth, not rough and ragged. I'm guessing that they are probably roll formed. Not much of a taper to these little plugs.
      I'm going to have to play with the tapping depth. After working the plug back and forth a few times tightening it up I can see that it is now seating deeper than before I started working it in and out.

JL..............

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
        The other advantage to the hole is on thicker parts, when you slit from both sides.. Easier to look even, even if you finish slit with a hacksaw.
        Motorcycle triple trees..or slab yokes as some call them...are a perfect example..
        I don't quite get what your saying..... finish with a hack saw??? Trying to cut a radial slot that follows the arc can't be done with a slitting saw as I'm sure your aware of. It's the easiest way.
        The factory made ones look to be band saw cut as the cut follows the curve. Maybe they have a jig for doing it. I wouldn't try holding that small part between my fingers and trying it. My slit is a straight line across the center of the hole. It looks OK, but I'm not going for looks.

JL...........

Comment

Originally posted by Jaakko Fagerlund View Post
          Maube a poor choice of words, I didn't talk about hardness, more to do with ductility. Brass in usually supplied condition is hard and doesn't like to bend but crack, it has to be annealed as someone pointed out.
          What's Maube ????

JL...................

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
            What's Maube ????

JL...................
            I'm guessing here, but I suspect that was supposed to say "May be a poor choice of words...."

Comment

In general terms.. Sometimes when slitting from both sides you cant get the middle..say 1.5 inch aluminum, and using 3 inch slitting saws.
              In your case you can reclamp, if you are off your cut gets wider, or you go deeoer and it leaves a ridge...... Some days its just easier to drill the hole, clamp in bench vise, then hacksaw the last 60 thou... Up to you.

Comment

Working...
              X