The gas bottle cart is back again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The gas bottle cart is back again...

I built this cart several years ago for our welding equipment supplier. They use it to carry around small gas cylinders.

A year or so later it fell off the lift gate of their truck with a load of cylinder inside. The hinges were ripped off, and the handles were bent, but I was able to repair the damage.

Recently they brought it back again. They didn't want their drivers to have to lift the heavy bottles to get them in and out of the cart, and they needed some tie down points added. So here it is with the new upgrades.

Continued in post 2.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

I added a stay for the top so they don't have to worry about it coming down unexpectedly.

There are two stops on the bottom of each door to hold them in place when they're closed.

The rod-and-pipe hinges can slide up and down to engage the stops. You lift the door as it's being closed, and the outside stop keeps it from going too far. Let it down, and it won't come open. There's a stop below the lower hinge to keep the door from dropping too far while it's open.

I'm pleased with how it turned out, and the drivers like it, too.
    Last edited by winchman; 05-24-2017, 01:19 AM.

Comment

E & D-------Evolution and Development

Comment

Very nice. I have to make something like that to store gas can's in at home, so they can be outside, but not easily stolen...

Comment

Finally, a use for those casters I've got with the wheels that don't roll or swivel too well.

Comment

They liked how the cart turned out, so they brought smaller cart for the same upgrades.

That's my next project in the background.

They also brought me eight 24-foot pieces of 2 1/2" square tubing for two more projects.

Comment

Working...
            X