No announcement yet.

I need an education outwith metric training , i've had so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The OD of standard pipe of a certain trade size is standardized, so that pipe of various thickness wall will work with standard fittings. Schedule 40 is probably most common, and the ID may be close to nominal size. There are also Schedule 80 and 160 with thicker walls and smaller ID. This applies mostly to iron (steel) and PVC or ABS pipe, with threaded fittings. Copper tube is similarly standardized for OD, while ID varies with wall thickness (Types K, L, and M).
    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by Sun God View Post
      It sure do, otherwise doing internal flow calculations is a right pain in the bum.
      The inside diameter has nothing to do with the thread and the thread is not needed in flow calculations, so naming the pipe thread via internal diameter is stupid, especially since when you measure a threads OD to figure out what it is, yuor calipers will show an actual measurement and not an arbitrary pipe thread size.
      Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

It like hard copper is measured ID & soft copper OD.

Comment

The screw in taper air fittings that look like a 1/4" are in fact 1/8" BSPT or BSP if parallel
          Mark

Comment

Jakko I am ill educated on pipe sizes not stupid with two degrees from university I think That point is proven. Anyway you will hopefully agree that it is confusing. I have been taught about ID and OD of diameters simply INSIDEL diameters and OUTSIDE diameters I ordered a half inch inside diameter and was very clear about that in the ad it said nothing about pipe measurements. So was I stupid perhaps but I don't think it is justified after all I do this purely for fun not money a hobbyist. Thank you JAKKO. Alistair
            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Jaakko Fagerlund View Post
              The inside diameter has nothing to do with the thread and the thread is not needed in flow calculations, so naming the pipe thread via internal diameter is stupid, especially since when you measure a threads OD to figure out what it is, yuor calipers will show an actual measurement and not an arbitrary pipe thread size.
              You don't have to use ASTM marked pipe so why do you even care. Those standards where set many years ago (100+) and will continue to be used, learn to live with it. By the way yuor is spelled your, unless it is some kind of metric spelling then, OK.
              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                By the way yuor is spelled your, unless it is some kind of metric spelling then, OK.
                Maybe that's the Finnish spelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie View Post
                  Jakko I am ill educated on pipe sizes not stupid with two degrees from university I think That point is proven. Anyway you will hopefully agree that it is confusing. I have been taught about ID and OD of diameters simply INSIDEL diameters and OUTSIDE diameters I ordered a half inch inside diameter and was very clear about that in the ad it said nothing about pipe measurements. So was I stupid perhaps but I don't think it is justified after all I do this purely for fun not money a hobbyist. Thank you JAKKO. Alistair
                  What the? Where did I say anything about your stupidity or attacked you in any way?

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                    You don't have to use ASTM marked pipe so why do you even care. Those standards where set many years ago (100+) and will continue to be used, learn to live with it. By the way yuor is spelled your, unless it is some kind of metric spelling then, OK.
                    yuor welcome

Comment

the implication is here
                      The inside diameter has nothing to do with the thread and the thread is not needed in flow calculations, so naming the pipe thread via internal diameter is stupid

Comment

I don't read that as directed at you Alistair, just badly-worded. You would not have taken offence if it read 'would be stupid'. A simple second-language error.
                        Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                        Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                        Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

There's metric spelling? Dammit, do I have to learn that too?

I can't even remember Imperial spelling, every time I write something I have to ask my wife how to spell at least a couple of words.

Comment

I posted the thread in view of it naming me if I am incorrect I apologise to jakko of course. Alistair , incidentally I was not really deeply offended .

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie View Post
                              I do this as a hobby also and I am astonished that you, with nearly 15 years on this site, don't seem to have picked up on stuff that's been the subject of many threads.

Comment

But Arcane, unless someone has a whinge, how can we hope to get rid of anomalies like BWG,SWG,BSP, Cycle threads, BS Gas, BS Brass, BSI, Iso. and all the other ancient ingineering terms unknown to keyboard warriors worldwide. Thankfully, ENGLISH is my first (and only, besides bad) language and I congratulate any not versed in the Queens ENGLISH from attempting to navigate through its intricacies. Sadly some of those it is have difficulties reading and understanding the written word. Was it Mark Twain "Better to be thought . . . . . . "?

Regards Ian.

Just think what it's going to be like when we exit the EU, back to imperial compasses and rules and twelve pennies to a shilling and twenty shillings to a pound.
                                Last edited by Circlip; 05-27-2017, 06:48 AM.
                                You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X