Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Aircraft related

eBay item number:142392010295
    This could be restored to be a like new plane but with the very strict FAA rules without the tiny data plate she's toast & close to worthless. Too bad!

Is the data plate equivalent to a VIN? What's the rational about requiring that plate when all the data is available from previous registrations?

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

All you need is that dataplate, and with the drawings and know how, build an entire new airplane, that dataplate being the "airplane", apparently. Some one probably stole it.

Comment

I would think even with the data plate it's close to worthless. No engines or props, a gutted instrument panel, and a damaged airframe doesn't leave much. It would take a lot of money to put it all back together and who would do that for an airframe with over 12,000 hours. It sounds as if it's last years were a little rough; I bet there are plenty of maintenance surprises to be found.
        George
        Traverse City, MI

Comment

it would be alright for someone who wanted to cut it apart and build a flight sim from it. It sounds as though most instruments are still there, its just missing the avionics panels which would all be replaced with computer screens anyways. The rest of it could go for scrap metal and still get some cash back.

Comment

Cash back? Doubt it

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
              All you need is that dataplate, and with the drawings and know how, build an entire new airplane, that dataplate being the "airplane", apparently. Some one probably stole it.
              From the listing description. "THE INSURANCE COMPANY REMOVED THE MANUFACTURERS AIRFRAME DATA PLATE...THIS COMPANY DOES THIS EVERY TIME NO MATTER HOW LIGHT THE DAMAGE IS.."

This can only mean that the aircraft was insured and after the crash, was considered to be scrap by the insurance company based on actual value versus estimated repair cost.

Removal of the data plate is equivalent to a DMV marking a title as "Salvage Only". It's clear that the bidders are wanting the parts only.

Comment

Originally posted by GNM109 View Post
                From the listing description. "THE INSURANCE COMPANY REMOVED THE MANUFACTURERS AIRFRAME DATA PLATE...THIS COMPANY DOES THIS EVERY TIME NO MATTER HOW LIGHT THE DAMAGE IS.."

This can only mean that the aircraft was insured and after the crash, was considered to be scrap by the insurance company based on actual value versus estimated repair cost.

Removal of the data plate is equivalent to a DMV marking a title as "Salvage Only". It's clear that the bidders are wanting the parts only.
                I was too lazy to look up the actual auction until recently. 6000$ for what amounts to a shell for a simulator. The throttle quadrant looks nice, but I do not see a screaming deal.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                  I was too lazy to look up the actual auction until recently. 6000$ for what amounts to a shell for a simulator. The throttle quadrant looks nice, but I do not see a screaming deal.
                  Yes, I agree, it's not a very good deal. I can imagine that even if you had the data plate, it would cost in excess of $150K to make it airworthy. Two engines, Avionics set, extensive sheet metal work and all required annual upgrades are pricey. Rebuilding aircraft is a rich man's sport.

Comment

For a company that would use the parts to service other similar airframes I suspect it represents a good value. It is certainly worth far more than just as a simple simulator shell.
                    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                      For a company that would use the parts to service other similar airframes I suspect it represents a good value. It is certainly worth far more than just as a simple simulator shell.
                      Theres boneyards with these things just rusting away, not much of a demand for their parts.

Comment

In most regimes you cant easily use many of the parts if you dont have the history of the aircraft they came from. We have a museum with about 3 dozen aircraft many of which actually flew here but none of them are likely to fly again and that is mainly because of the cost of the paper work. Sometimes people give us stuff which has had the plates removed, for example we were given a JT8D engine all complete and ready to run still on the frame on which it went into spares storage but now we have it minus the plate as the donor took those.

Mind you anything is possible if there is the money available and we are frequently fielding inquiries from people wanting to acquire and restore (for flight) aircraft such as our Meteor, AT6, Aermacchi or our DC3.

Somewhat way off field are the guys who show up in mud splattered pick-ups tool kit in hand wanting to 'borrow' some part from one or other of our helicopters!

Comment

Originally posted by GNM109 View Post
                          ............. It's clear that the bidders are wanting the parts only.
                          Considering the seller is Wentworth you can bet all the parts that had any real value have already been removed.

Steve

Comment

Flylo,
                            If you know of anyone interested in putting a 402 together, here is a link to an upcoming auction in Iowa that includes a 402 similar to the one listed:
                            http://www.njgallivan.com/auction/31...n+May+25,+2017

Comment

Working...
                            X