Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compact R8 drill chuck

Hey all,

My little Rockwell 21-100 doesn't have much length to the knee, and all the R8 drill chucks seem to be pretty huge. Between my drill chucks on the R8 spindle, and the extra height of my mill vise, I pretty much can't do any drilling operations.

I'm betting I'm not the only person who has ever encountered this problem. Seems my Google-Fu is lacking, because I'm not having much luck finding anything real compact. I'd like both a compact spindle and a somewhat smallish drill chuck, say 1/2" or smaller.

Any recommendations?

I use my Rockwell regularly for drilling. I have a Jacobs 0- 1/2" 6A-2A with a 5/8" straight shank arbor and a Jacobs 8-1/2 N 0-1/4" on a 1/2" straight shank.

The straight shank arbors don't take up the room when installing and removing that R-8 arbors do. They can also be shortened if desired to further increase installation.

I also use stub length drills for most applications, whether in the mill, lathe or drill press.
    Jim H.

Comment

I've got several myself.One is a 1/4" keyless with a JT1 mount.I have it on a 1/2 straight shank arbor that I cut off so it's only 1" long.The length of the chuck is about 1-1/2" and the whole thing arbor and all is about 2-1/2".

I also have the same setup,but with a 1/2" Jacobs keyed chuck,a #34 IIRC on a JT33 mount.It's on a 3/ straight shank I cutoff at 1" long also.It's total length is around 3"

I also have a 5/8 shank ER20 collet chuck that only sticks out the spindle about 1-1/2",but offers better holding capacity,better runout and allows the drill shank to be pushed up,further into the tool body much further than a drill chuck will allow.I also cut it off at 1" since anymore than that is just excess baggage.

https://www.banggood.com/C58-ER20-10...l?rmmds=search

https://www.banggood.com/14pcs-ER20-...l?rmmds=search

Edit: I forgot to add,I also prefer the ER chuck in my bench mill,since it allows the swap between drills and endmills without breaking the R-8 spindle out.
      Last edited by wierdscience; 05-25-2017, 09:09 PM.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

wierdscience, do you hold the half inch arbors with an R8 collet? Thanks.
        Jim

Comment

Jim,yes and the 5/8 and 3/4 as well.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I use an Albrecht 3/8 key-less chuck mounted on a short 3/8 dia. straight shank that covers the majority of drill needs. The shank is cut to about 3/4" long. And yeah, the short quill travel on the 21-100 does require a bit of forward planning.

Comment

I have the same mill, I bought a ER 32 x R8 collet chuck, by passing the R8 collet to hold the straight drill chuck shank, I use the ER 32 collets to hold the drills and the end mills. The whole package from Banggood, collet chuck and collets was about $85.
              jack

Comment

I don't have that mill myself but like Jack said +2 except I got an ER16/R8 as well and got both from CTC in Hong Kong. I use the ER16 mostly because I put the bigger stuff directly in an R8. Haven't used my drill chucks in the mill since about 2007. Thinking seriously about switching the drill press to ER as well. Regular chucks just plain slip too often for my taste. I have never had an ER slip.
                Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I made an arbor for a 1/4" chuck I had with a 3/8-24 thread so it is 5/8" straight to 3/8-24. Doesn't take up much room. Thinking I need to make one for a 1/2" chuck too. I have an Albrecht that is a nice chuck but is longer, it is on an R-8.

Comment

Albrecht makes a 1/2" chuck with various integral shanks. R8 is available. It's about as compact as that type chuck can get if R8 is required and is slightly shorter than the same chuck on a JT arbor.

RWO

Comment

When I got my floor stand DP it came with a large chuck that was sized at 20mm. That is a bit over 3/4". But it would not grip a 1/16" bit or even a 1/8" one so I knew I needed a smaller chuck.

I purchased a 1/2" Rohm which was made in Germany. It is about half the length of the original, no name one and about the size that I would expect for a 3/8" chuck. I was really surprised at how small it was for 1/2" capacity. I love it and it remains on the spindle almost all the time. I would only use the original, 20mm chuck with drill bits with shanks larger than 1/2". I have a set of Silver and Deaming bits up to 1" size but with 1/2" shanks so I do not see much need for that 20mm chuck. My biggest reason for even touching it is to wipe it with an oily cloth from time to time to prevent rust. It would probably make a good nut cracker.

Side note: I checked the runout for both chucks and found that the no-name, Chinese was significantly better than the German made Rohm. Go figure! I still like and use the Rohm.
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkLord View Post
                        Hey all,

My little Rockwell 21-100 doesn't have much length to the knee, and all the R8 drill chucks seem to be pretty huge. Between my drill chucks on the R8 spindle, and the extra height of my mill vise, I pretty much can't do any drilling operations.

I'm betting I'm not the only person who has ever encountered this problem. Seems my Google-Fu is lacking, because I'm not having much luck finding anything real compact. I'd like both a compact spindle and a somewhat smallish drill chuck, say 1/2" or smaller.

Any recommendations?
                        Your problem is puzzling. I have the same mill and find plenty of room for any size chuck on an R8 arbor along with a Kurt vice. No problem fitting in a long chucking reamer also. We have 16" travel in the knee so I fail to see how you have a clearance problem. Are you not getting full travel in the knee?

Comment

Working...
                        X