Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

switching from soluble oil/water to straight cutting oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switching from soluble oil/water to straight cutting oil?

I have a cold saw which is like a Swiss army knife in all the ways things can rotate and twist to get whatever kind of cut I need. All of this is done with ground slideways. When the soluble oil gets into those slideways and evaporates, the good news is it doesn't rust but the bad news is the slideways get stuck. I can free it up by working some Kroil into the thing and using force but it takes a few minutes and is a huge PITA.

My saw has an integral coolant sump and pump. There is a filter in series with the coolant piping.

I'm going to try to get around the problem of gummy residues by using straight cutting oil.

My question is - will cutting oil flow smoothly through a filter? Do I need a different kind of filter? New element?

Thanks,

metalmagpie

You might need a different pump to push "oil" through the filter. Is it a typical low pressure impeller pump or what?

Comment

Yes,depends on the pump,although I have used both water soluble and sulfur thread cutting oil in the same centrifugal coolant pump with no noticeable difference.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I believe it is a Fiat fuel pump. This is an Italian cold saw. There is very little probability of me swapping out the pump. If I did I would have to switch over to an electric pump rather than the cam-driven lever that now powers the pump. I'll drain out the old coolant and have a good look at the filter.

metalmagpie

Comment

Run some water through it to give it a good rinse followed by some solvent. Maybe try a light oil to start with like wd40?

Comment

I'd try plain old kerosene as a coolant/lubricant/cutting oil. Diesel fuel is much cheaper, most places, if you don't mind the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post
              I believe it is a Fiat fuel pump. This is an Italian cold saw. There is very little probability of me swapping out the pump. If I did I would have to switch over to an electric pump rather than the cam-driven lever that now powers the pump. I'll drain out the old coolant and have a good look at the filter.
              based on there being a cam, safe to say its a piston pump? I would be surprised if it had trouble with oil.
              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                based on there being a cam, safe to say its a piston pump? I would be surprised if it had trouble with oil.
                It may even be an oil pump. Not worried about the pump. Just the filter.

MM

Comment

Working...
                X