Need help with disassembly/assembly of Cincinnati no. 3 ? Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with disassembly/assembly of Cincinnati no. 3 ? Center

The guy I bought my mill from gave me this Center. It had a tin tag on it stamped Cinn. no.3 center and some other numbers but I can't find any corresponding numbers on the center itself.

Anyway I know part of my problem getting the thing apart is the rust but I have had it soaking in a combination of things to
    free it up/remove rust. Some pieces are free and moving now at this point.

The Horizontal adjustment does move forward but doesn't seem to want to move backward as easy, I have to seem to push it
    back while I'm cranking the handle. I'm not sure if there is that much backlash or I pushed it out past where the lead screw
    engages and it's not pulling it back or what ? I guess knowing how it should operate correctly would be a big help.

The vertical adjustment is unstuck, I'm not sure I want to use the word free at this point. The adjustment knob will turn but
    only a little and not a full turn. I tapped on the vertical center section and got movement, at this point the knob turned more freely. When I tapped it back into the place it was before the knob locked up again. I'm wondering if there's a rack and worm gear in there or what ?

The only disassembly I have done at this point are the nuts, handwheel, and tapered pin in the vertical knob I'm trying to remove.
    Last edited by hammernanvil; 05-29-2017, 11:14 PM.

Sounds like the centre thread bolt has disengaged, hopefully not stripped, travel on those isn't much from memory, you don't really need it I suppose as your moving the whole thing along the tee slot, mine has a key that sits in the slot sort of arrangement.
    Mark

Comment

Got pics posted

Ok so I followed george's post on creating an album, then using that URL to paste here but what a PITA.

I guess this is also a bump.

Comment

Working...
      X