Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question regarding a "one-shot" lube device for lathe carriage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding a "one-shot" lube device for lathe carriage.

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you have ever put a “one-shotâ€‌ lube device on the carriage of a lathe? I have some ideas how to make it but I have never seen a commercial one. If some of you have one on your lathe or mill, would you mind taking some pictures of how the lines are distributed to the ways and connections used for it, and of course, post them? I’d like to install one on my lathe – I’m tired of those “ball valve oilersâ€‌!!!

Thanks a bunch!

Mike

Mike: I've got one on my Harrison M300 lathe. Although I've done much disassembly and cleaning, the only thing I can say for sure is that the oil (from the one shot)comes out of two holes, one on each of the cross slide flats.

The carriage vee way and rear flat way have oil grooves running the length of them and angled so as to cover most of the face of each way by the time the full length has been traversed.

At this point, I believe that the carriage oil grooves are fed by a single ball oiler on the top of the carriage, near the carriage lock bolt. I'm hoping that I'm wrong but I haven't seen oil getting to the carriage from the one shot pull handle.

It feels good knowing that oil is being forced in a relatively inaccessbile area of the cross slide but I don't know if the one shot is the be-all and end-all of machine lube.

I'm looking forward to other's comments on this as well.

Den

Comment

I had the same thought about the old Logan here.

Then I got intelligent, and just put flip-top oilers on. It didn't originally have ANY oiling method other than dripping oil on the wipers.

The one-shot was gonna be a lot of work, and there really wasn't a good way nor room for lines.

I drilled top-side oil holes thru to the top of the carriage V-way and to the side of the flat way, and a shallow hole for press-in flip-top oilers, on front and back ways.

A bit of tubing was required on the back to hit the flat way, since the area over it was too thin in my guestimation to put in a hole. Gibs get oiled by overflow.

Front carriage V-way I scraped some oil reliefs into, leading down from the tip relief.

Much better than before, and a lot less work than the one-shot idea. Oil leaks out under the carriage ends, carrying crud out, instead of wiping it in.

You need pressure and flow regulators on the one-shot, or all the oil goes to the easy spots. You need room to put in tubing. You need pressure fittings, and room for them. You need places to drill passages, and plugs for the right-angle turns where the extra holes are. You need a pump and reservoir.

Pull the ball oilers, and put in flip-tops.

A piece of felt teased out into "fluff" will keep out chips.

Much simpler, if you can do it.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

J,

I already have the plumbing, flow controls, and connections worked out. I just wanted to see how the commercial units do theirs.

-Mike

Comment

The lathe I have at work has an automatic oiler for the carriage. It oils for a detremined number of seconds based upon spindle running time. It also has an override where the user presses a button and the oilpump will run until the button is released. The oiling system only dispenses oil on the ways that the carriage rides on not the section that the tailstock rides on. That section I oil as needed by hand. All of the lines (oil and coolant) are encased in a flat belt type of flexible condit. I, without major dissasembly and crawling around, cannot describe how it is actually set up, connected and dispenses the oil. I will look through the manual and see if I can find anything that may help though. Every year I have a factory technician from come in and calibrate all of my machines and the Bridgeport retrofit here at work. The one thing I can tell you about it is that the technician tells me that if a flood coolant system is often used (I use a squirt bottle when absolutely needed)it can tend to cause the oil passages under the carriage to get gunked up if a good cleanup is not done when the lathe finished being used, and not going to be used for a while. Since I do not do a lot of lathe work, he also reccomends that when starting lathe use to manually override the automatic oiler and traverse the the carriage so that it will not be running on oil that has been sitting or has run off over time, since it's last use. I like the system. I keep oil in the reservior and a good cleanup when I am done using the lathe and I have had no problems with it.

[This message has been edited by ERBenoit (edited 08-09-2004).]
          Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

I'm doing it now as you speak
            cheating a bit as the oil galleries are already there.....fed by the non functioning appron pump.
            bought this off ebay about two weeks ago
            the guy who sells them puts one on every week or so
            they are very well made and well up to the job
            and i bought a six foot grease gun extension line which screwed strait into it.

ebay item number 3825498305
            all the best....mark

Comment

Working...
            X