Large power hacksaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large power hacksaw

Anyone ever operate a Marvel No 18 like this?

Fwiw, that's a 24x2" 4TPI blade. This pristine example sold at auction for $300. I thought it might go cheap, but not that cheap. If only I had the space.. I hope it went to a good home.

(click-thru for larger images)

Comment

Comment

What a grand old machine in its day.

I hope it went to a good home.

Hal

Comment

WOW! That thin's a Marvel!
          "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
          world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
          country, in easy stages."
          ~ James Madison

Comment

We just got a Marvel 18" tilting head vertical cutoff saw in our shop. That one is a beast! I wired a smaller version of that for a steel supplier about 40 years ago. I was shocked how fast it went through a 6" H beam. Each stroke the blade went down about a quarter inch so in about 30 strokes the job was done. Nice square cut too.

Comment

We have an old Marvel 9A at work similar to this one,hasn't been used in a few years since we bought a bigger bandsaw.

https://i.machinio.com/medium/esus3f/16652_2.jpg

One of the first jobs I did on it was cutting some 10 x 112lb/ft H-beam for some diesel engine mounts we were building.Almost 30 minutes per cut on that old beast.I added a 110v alarm bell to the autofeed stop via a micro switch so I could be elsewhere doing something else while the saw was working.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

That is quite a saw did not know hacksaw built that big,hope it didn't get scrapped!

Comment

If I wasn't getting ready to do a major downsize that would have been great to own & played very well with the other machines. I too hope it gets a good home.
                  "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                  world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                  country, in easy stages."
                  ~ James Madison

Comment

We had a Peerless power hacksaw about that size when I worked at GM. It cut literally hundreds of tons of metals in the 30 years that I worked there and was still going strong when I retired.

I have a smaller Peerless power hacksaw, as well as a Marvel tilt head saw and a couple of other saws. The Marvel model 8 was and still is my dream saw. It will cut something like 18" x 21". It is a real beast.

Brian
                    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by Hal View Post
                      What a grand old machine in its day.

I hope it went to a good home.

Hal
                      X2.

Comment

Working...
                      X