Precision Drilling with Reglus Drill Jig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precision Drilling with Reglus Drill Jig

Just received a Reglus Drill Jig from member on this forum,JC Hannum did a very good job on packaging and arrived with no damage to the fixture thanks for that.Got to try it out a little today,very impressed how well it works.All was drilled on a drill press including the countersinking and tapping.
    Last edited by Tundra Twin Track; 06-02-2017, 02:08 AM.

That looks pretty fancy! I just use a piece of the same material I want to drill a cross hole in that I have drilled the size hole I need for the cross hole. I drill the hole in the lathe and then just clamp the rod I need the cross hole drilled in and the bushing I made in the vise at the same time. Then I just throw the busing in the box with the others I have done previously.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

BF
      I am sure that your method is clever but my old brain dosent comprehend.
      Could you elaborate for me?
      Bill
      I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

Originally posted by Seastar View Post
        BF
        I am sure that your method is clever but my old brain dosent comprehend.
        Could you elaborate for me?
        Bill
        Sorry Bill! My English has suffered since I moved to Germany. My German is not perfect either!

I will try again. I use a piece of round rod the same diameter as the rod I need a cross hole drilled. I mount the short piece of round material in the lathe and drill a hole the same diameter as the cross hole needs to be. Clamp the rod horizontal in the vise sitting on parallels with the bushing mounted perpendicular to the horizontal rod at the hole location. Clamp both at the same time so as to have the hole perfectly centered on the horizontal rod. It will be in a T formation.

Last edited by Black Forest; 06-02-2017, 08:47 AM.
        How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

OK
          That is clever. I have learned a new trick.
          Thanks!
          Bill
          I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

As you can see in the picture in the previous post the small disk is your drill bushing and it is the same diameter as the long rod so when both are clamped in a vise the hole in the top bushing will be centered on the long rod.

Comment

Originally posted by Seastar View Post
              OK
              That is clever. I have learned a new trick.
              Thanks!
              Bill

+1 I like that

Comment

Great idea, BF! TTT - I am not seeing how you were able to index 30 degree increments with that jig? It's a very nice piece of equipment.

Comment

This is a set up I wrestle with for my trike shafts etc .
                  Thanks BF, I will certainly try your method next time.

https://app.box.com/s/dfmcwvfh3b12wz7ety59zk23t6u0sbt9
                  I got these blocks some time ago but have not got around to making an accurate jig for them on the xy table.

Comment

hmmmmm.....Swissssss

Nice addition TTT

sorry BF, not crazy about that.....usually bad practice to clamp two pieces in the vice. Slight variations can mean one is held and the other not....but maybe i'm missing something on the set up.

I usually just clamp the work in the vice in the milll, spot drill and drill. TTT's rig lets you do it in the DP which is faster
                    Last edited by Mcgyver; 06-02-2017, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                      hmmmmm.....Swissssss

Nice addition TTT

sorry BF, not crazy about that.....usually bad practice to clamp two pieces in the vice. Slight variations can mean one is held and the other not....but maybe i'm missing something on the set up.

I usually just clamp the work in the vice in the milll, spot drill and drill. TTT's rig lets you do it in the DP which is faster
                      Paper or thin card on one vise jaw has enough give to hold both securely, and accurately enough to match BF's method.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
                        Great idea, BF! TTT - I am not seeing how you were able to index 30 degree increments with that jig? It's a very nice piece of equipment.
                        I have to say this is a extremely precision designed and built piece,if I have the story correct they were originally made for the watch makers(I am not in the watch maker category lol).To index for spirals you lower the V table release the hold down on left side rotate to desired deg. Lock left holdown shift table to desire spacing raise V table drill and repeat.

I only played around with it for a couple hours but am amazed how accurate and repeatable can be had.After I cross drill 3/8" hole in 1-1/2" shaft rotated 180 deg slid bit thru I don't think it even touched the bore.And this all being done on a simple drill press.

I was always frustrated when I wanted to drill a accurate cross hole and mill was occupied,this will allow me to do it on drill press with great precision.

Parts and accessories are still available but holly s£~! Are they expensive.

Comment

A cross drilling jig is a handy accessory to have around. Eleven years ago, I made a simpleV-block one along with a full set of hardened drill bushings:

I've used it any number of times on the drill press to drill holes dead center with ease and accuracy through round stuff from 1/4" to 2.5" diameter. It was one of those projects that provided some learning and entertainment, along with long-term utility.

Here's a full illustrated writeup of the project:

http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Pr...ssdriller.html
                          Cheers,

Frank Ford
                          HomeShopTech

Comment

Here are some close ups pics,nice job Frank!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Ford View Post
                              A cross drilling jig is a handy accessory to have around. Eleven years ago, I made a simpleV-block one along with a full set of hardened drill bushings:

I've used it any number of times on the drill press to drill holes dead center with ease and accuracy through round stuff from 1/4" to 2.5" diameter. It was one of those projects that provided some learning and entertainment, along with long-term utility.

Here's a full illustrated writeup of the project:

http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Pr...ssdriller.html
                              I went thru your build site ,very good job I have some collets to build.What material did you use for the collets.

Comment

Working...
                              X