Chip breaker, concept.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chip breaker, concept.

754 mentioned on another topic that his Herbert lathe had a 'CHIPRUPTER' which interrupted the feed to break up chips which piqued my interest as I do a bit of turning plastic (HDPE etc) and long snarles of chips can be a trial.

So I have a notion, I should remove a few teeth from a driving change gear to interrupt the feed every revolution of the gear.

Just a thought.

Sounds like a workable idea. You would want to run that gear at a low to moderate speed and/or make the driver or driven gear out of plastic to prevent a crash if the tops of the gear teeth happened to collide.

Comment

I think it was hooked to a clutch on the feed rod, when you touched the lever, it instantly stopped feed, but for very short interval.

Comment

I have gone off the idea of missing teeth as being too crude and as Toolguy says there is the possibility of things going wrong.

A better idea might be a clutch built into a compound gear, maybe an auto aircon electric clutch?

Comment

There are modified gear shapes that do about what you want.

Actually most do what would be a short feed and a long wait, but can likely be modified to do a short halt in feed.

Th e principle is like missing teeth, but with the space filled in such a way that the driven gear is held without turning, instead of being left "free".

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

You are making it sound complicated. I am pretty sure its just a spring clutch on a shaft, pushing the knob tightens the spring, allows clutch to slip an instant.

I should mention it was the turret feeding, not the cross or toolpost longitudinal feed.
            Last edited by 754; 06-02-2017, 08:44 PM.

Comment

It sounded like it was automatic, or the OP wanted that. If not, then a clutch slip button would be perfect

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

turning plastic?

Prior to each turning pass, dial in your cross feed, and "broach" a line across the "to be turned" surface. Back out and start the spindle. Turn as usual, and watch the chips fly. Neat little circles.

It takes some relief on the cutting tool, but not a problem turning plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by CalM View Post
                  turning plastic?

Prior to each turning pass, dial in your cross feed, and "broach" a line across the "to be turned" surface. Back out and start the spindle. Turn as usual, and watch the chips fly. Neat little circles.

OOOOOOH, I'll have to try that, Thanks!!!

TC

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                    . . .I should mention it was the turret feeding, not the cross or toolpost longitudinal feed.
                    This is most important! Interrupting longitudinal feed will result in a very poor finish. Applying this method to turret feed is simply the equivalent of momentary backing off on a drilling operation to limit chip length. I get the feeling some have not realized yet what the original application actually was.

Comment

I cant see why it wouldn't work on a longitudinal carriage feed...the rod run length of lathe, like your feed screw... Actually the length adjusts. On my engine lathe the rod has to do a full turn before it meshes in again..would mess up a finish cut.
                      I tried to look up how it worked, only info I found was there was I think a chain in the mechanism.. I never saw that.

Comment

Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post
                        This is most important! Interrupting longitudinal feed will result in a very poor finish. Applying this method to turret feed is simply the equivalent of momentary backing off on a drilling operation to limit chip length. I get the feeling some have not realized yet what the original application actually was.
                        Not just on drilling, you can be finishing an OD with a knee turning tool, or roller box.

Comment

For lathe work turning plastic both turning and facing, It is quite amazing the effect the operator can have by resisting the motion of the hand wheels while under power.
                          Loading the drive can usually slow the feed enough to thin the chip and let it part free.

Try it!

Of course this seldom applies to a heavy feed on steel! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post
                            The finish for roughing cuts is not very important, but not having a tangle of chips IS. A lot of turret work is prep for grinding etc and is in fact roughing.

In any case, the longitudinal feed and feed of the turret are similar operations. and with lever or wheel feed it's easy to do for the turret. With auto feed, you need either a button, or an automatic device, the latter sounding more like what was wanted.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by CalM View Post
                              turning plastic?

Maybe works with incredibly small DOC, but when roughing out that is out of the question as the DOC can be ridiculously deep.
                              Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Working...
                              X