albrecht keyless chuck stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• albrecht keyless chuck stuck

got a tap stuck in my keyless chuck, seems that it is jammed up hard, wont come loose, any suggestions?

i have tried heat
    "the ocean is the ultimate solution"

Use a strap wrench.

Comment

It sometimes happens that the chuck will self-tighten past what you can loosen by hand. It happens with big drills now and again too. A strap wrench is a nice way to do it....I once used a pipe wrench on an Albrecht (butcher)....but I wouldn't do that to my own chuck without using protective pieces of wood or similar to avoid marring the chuck....strap wrench sounds like a more civilized way.

Comment

A pipe wrench will work. Just use some form of shielding to protect the chuck knurl. Here is a well made video on how to repair an Albrecht chuck:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_jQ7-UiWgI

Comment

none of the above worked. Strap wrench broke, pipe wrench wont budge it

Comment

I remember once putting considerable force with a pipe wrench to get one loose. It was a 2 man operation.

Comment

Try wrapping a srip of aluminum around it, grip in a 4 or 6 jaw chuck....useca crescent wrench on the tang.
              I do realize this one is really jammed.
              After I stuck a reduced shank 1 inch drill in mine, i realized I should not run drills over 9/16 ?or some taps can be worse. Its the self tightening working to good when you put excessive torque to it.

Comment

First of all, if you want to ruin the chuck put a metal wrench on it and apply a breaker bar. You wont just destroy the knurling, also the outer case.

The wrap is the only way to go.

I have had Jacobs chucks (the good ones) lock up stupid tight and had to be wrapped with a good strap and hammer blows on the strap handle to shock the strap and release the thread.

I have had a lockup with an albrecht keyless chuck. They dont over tighten as much as the Jacobs. Hope it goes well. JR

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                  i realized I should not run drills over 9/16 ?or some taps can be worse.
                  Hole saw on its hex arbor can also end with bad results.

Comment

Some keyless chucks have a hole or two near the top for a pin spanner just for this purpose. If yours doesn't, it wouldn't take much to drill one. You can look at pics online to see where the holes are.
                    Kansas City area

Comment

Two reasons I don't care for Albrecht keyless chucks......the first is they tighten under load and, yes, out of frustration I've used a pipe wrench to loosen.

The other reason is in a pinch you can't use them to hold a tap for a quick job in the lathe tailstock, they loosen in reverse.

One these days I may put all my Albrecht's on CL. They seem to bring good money.

Comment

I have a drawer full of Albecht's and love them. I have one that likes to tighten up excessively, but it's old, worn out, and really needs to be rebuilt. I put large channel locks on the SHANK RING (not the outer cover) and turn that while holding the body; comes undone easily. Yours may be on tighter.

If you mess up the outer shell, you can buy another - all parts are available. If you are game... lock the tap in vice, then grab the shank somehow with an impact driver (real one, not a cheap battery powered drill/impact) on the shank in REVERSE.

Comment

I have held the body in the lathe three jaw, enough force on the knurled cover to get it to slip in jaws.

Everything was going fine, no changes on set up or how tight the tap was in the chuck, tight enough to start thread then finish by hand. Still have 10 holes left to drill and tap. Bums me out since the chuck was recently rebuilt and I'm afraid all those new parts are going to be junk.

Comment

Rather than ruin it, send it to Albrecht. They can fix it properly.

RWO

Comment

Take a piece of .5" aluminum scrap and drill a hole the same size as the chuck body through it, then cut it into halves and then clamp onto the chuck and put a channel lock pliers over the aluminum block. Then aluminum won't ruin the knurling and it will form into it to grip tightly.

Comment

Working...
                              X