Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has a TREE Taper Boring Head ? I'd like to have some user info on it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has a TREE Taper Boring Head ? I'd like to have some user info on it.

I just bought it at auction thursday, and I have never used one but I did see a brief video on youtube without any explanation about the tool itself, and new I wanted one.

Every decent one I've seen listed on ebay is listed and sells for 600.00 or more, but I got this one for a lot less thankfully.

Anyway does anyone have any kind of user manual ? I just took it apart cleaned it and put it back together. So I think I'm ready to use it as soon as I get the threads in the arbor chased so I can tighten and loosen it without a a 3 foot pipe. I believe most everything is there, except for maybe one part ?? I think it is in the original box.

If no user manual

I have always wondered about those. I a Tree 2UVR mill. Is it somehow unique in what it is capable of?

Comment

You can bore a tapered hole with them. Don't know what else, but I have always wanted one too. Never found one cheap enough to buy.

Comment

No manual, but Robin Renzetti made a fairly detailed video showing the use of one of these ( I book-marked it in case I ever found one at the right price - never did!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p-j1vfM0bQ

HTH, Ian.

Comment

There are also 2 other youtube videos on the Tree boring head. I have the tool, but no instruction sheet.

John

Comment

Ok, I did a search and found a man named Dennis on practical Machinist that said he bought the rights to the tree taper boring head.
            I spoke with him earlier in the evening and he gave me his email. He said he had been making those and selling them since 1980-2001 or 9 ?
            can't remember exactly but he's not doing it anymore but said he did have some parts left, and would send me a user manual. I will provide the user manual free to anyone who wants one if you send me your email. I imagine it will be in PDF or some kind of zippered file ??

I have cleaned and oiled the piece since these pics were taken, it looks much better now.

Comment

I think it's one of those things you buy and never use. Or use once every 20 years. How often do you need to make tapered holes of this size, especially, using the "try it-adjust-try again-readjust" approach?
              Last edited by MichaelP; 06-04-2017, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you a copy of my manual.

Ron

Comment

Once you got the angle set, be good for boring tapered holes for steering components like the ball stud .

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                    I think it's one of those things you buy and never use. Or use once every 20 years. How often do you need to make tapered holes of this size, especially, using the "try it-adjust-try again-readjust" approach?
                    I believe you are correct. I saw one at a used equipment dealer late last fall. It was brand new in the box from a shop that bought it late in the 1980's. In all those years it had never been used. It slowly worked it's way to the back of the shelves and was forgotten. The owner didn't even remember he had it until he was looking to downsize the shop.

I mentioned it to a friend who has several Tree mills. He sounded interested so I went back to the dealer to see if it was still available. Unfortunately it sold for $250.00 about an hour before I got there. The person that bought it made the comment "I don't know if I'll ever use it, but at this price how can I pass it up?"

Comment

It will do anything that a Wohlhaupter or D'andrea boring and facing head will do with the extra addition that it can also do tapered holes. I have used mine as a conventional boring head and it was incredibly accurate.

Comment

I was just watching some videos on it. You can even face with it. One guy sounded spanish then another guy was speaking sounded french that made an attachment to go on it that turned a radius. I already have radii cutter for that.

Comment

It will do anything that a Wohlhaupter or D'andrea boring and facing head will do with the extra addition that it can also do tapered holes. I have used mine as a conventional boring head and it was incredibly accurate.
                          If you have a mill where the spindle drive and the powerfeeds are geared together, you can bore tapers with a wohlhaupter too - Within vertain limitations, as the gearing of the powerfeed is stepped of yourse...
                          Personal website

Comment

Working...
                          X