Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there a better solution than GITS oil cups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there a better solution than GITS oil cups?

Rejuvenating an old turret press just for fun. It is a fairly primitive machine and it relies on oil being applied to several points, as was common back in the '30s. I'm not contemplating running tiny tubing around and installing a Bijur oiler, but I am going to replace the 7 oil cups on this machine, either with new ones the same size or with a better solution if there is one. The ones I have have been painted at least 3 times by a meatfisted painter who was probably hung over. They only open about 15 degrees (sorry, don't know what that is in metric).

So before I order a small pile of GITS oil cups, is there something else I should consider?

metalmagpie

Metalmagpie,

When I reworked my SB lathe I was able to buy them each from McMaster Carr if that helps. The ones I got were not as well built as the originals but they fit and do work. You could also go with the zirk fittings that work with an oil gun, but then you would have to have one, or go get one to do the job, hay another tool is always good!

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

Comment

I'd stay with the Gitz or install zerks (for oil). A Bijur oil pump and metering units will set you back a princely sum, and for the occasional oiling needed, not worth it.

Comment

I don't know the design in this case but in many designs the cups have a wick to slowly feed the oil. Another option is a drip oiler.
        Mike
        Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Little dab of paint stripper and a tooth brush will fix the oil cups you have.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
            Little dab of paint stripper and a tooth brush will fix the oil cups you have.
            Yup, I'm thinking that might be the way to go. That or the zerks. I have made grease guns into oil guns, it's easy.
            http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/oi...unconvert.html

Anyway, thanks to all.

metalmagpie

Comment

Working...
            X