No announcement yet.

OT - garbage disposal repeatedly jams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I replaced mine last weekend. Got 20 years out of it so that's pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by hermetic View Post
      threads caught round the impellor blade, usually old meat string etc etc, needs a strip and rebuild. Not difficult.
      Phil
      I figured it was the missing socks.

Comment

Why is putting coffee grounds down the sink a bad idea? I have one of those "permanent" coffee filters (https://www.amazon.com/GoldTone-Reus...e+filter&psc=1) that I dump in the wastebasket first, leaving a bunch of grounds in the basket, which I then wash down the drain. It's probably a tablespoon, maybe less. Been doing that for at least 2 years now w/o trouble. No garbage disposal.

Comment

I had the opposite effect at my parents house. My mother had the kitchen sink clog on her 3 times in a month. My poor Dad would dismantle the drain and run a snake. One day he had enough and told my mother he was not going to do it again. Found my mom dumping oils and fat in the drain. Figured the drain was clogging due to fats. I told her to dump the espresso grinds in the sink. Not one clog since. Coffee is a great degreaser. The family only drinks espresso so the grinds are fine. She did not have any more clogs in that sink ever. She still dumps bacon oil through it and fat down the drain.
          12x16" Delta 3d printer (Built from scratch)
          Logan 825 - work in progress
          My Blog - http://engineerd3d.ddns.net/
          Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVY...view_as=public
          Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/engineerd3d/?hl=en

Comment

Coffee grounds can stick to slimy buildup in the pipes. Coffee grounds and oil are a terrible combo. If someone can flush oil and fat down the drain and never get a clog, more power to them. I have been to as many as 8 houses in a day. I see things that CAN cause problems, even if some people never have issues with it. At my house, only food residue that the fork didn't scrape into the trash goes in my sink. I unclog enough pipes at work. I don't want to do it at home.

Comment

Yeah, dumping oil/fat down the drain is bad, both for your personal drainpipe, but also the cities drainpipe. It always winds up coagulating somewhere, and then clogging up the pipe. And when it happens, it always sucks to have to be one of the guys who has to go down and dig it out (and they can be massive).

Comment

Well, some of my 'good luck' might be to the fact that we don't cook at home, only make coffee and cold cereal for breakfast, so not much to go down the drain. I looked this morning, and it's not a teaspoon of grounds when I wash out the filter. Having a septic tank, we've never had a garbage disposal, I'm told that that's a bad combination.

Comment

Ditto on septic tanks. Haven't had a disposal since moving to the property. They're an evil crutch anyway. Take the garbage out!

I'm able to burn trash out here so I put paper goods in a separate waste basket that's destined for the burn barrel. Trash collection is once a week here and I pay for four cans. Typically, I barely have enough for two but spring and summer cleanup tends to push the limit.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                    Ditto on septic tanks. Haven't had a disposal since moving to the property. They're an evil crutch anyway. Take the garbage out!

I'm able to burn trash out here so I put paper goods in a separate waste basket that's destined for the burn barrel. Trash collection is once a week here and I pay for four cans. Typically, I barely have enough for two but spring and summer cleanup tends to push the limit.
                    Same deal here - I burn two or three times a week but only take out the solid trash once or twice a month.

And we are also on a septic and it works just fine. No roaches and no clogs...

Comment

Working...
                    X