OT - garbage disposal repeatedly jams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - garbage disposal repeatedly jams

My buddy just sent me this note. Wondering if any of you have ever dug into one with a problem like this. I'm guessing a bearing or bushing is rusted, and wondering if there might be an easy fix that would keep it going? He doesn't use it heavily but he does dispose of coffee grounds that way. I've asked for model info, to find a blown-apart drawing.

"As if I needed another project. I think my garbage disposal is starting to fail. Will not spin, trips breaker on unit. I can unbind it manually from below and get it to run as long as needed. But after sitting for any length of time, it gets to the same state."

They also have little metal "flippers" that rock back and forth right next to the side strainer teeth (or whatever)

the flippers can loose tolerance and interfere with the side teeth (or whatever)

Comment

Several models under $100 at the big box stores - probably easier and safer to replace. And it sounds electrical to me - the bearings would have to be in really bad shape to trip a breaker...and it would make more noise than usual when it does run. OTOH, a weak motor or low voltage due to high resistance somewhere in the circuit could act like this.

Comment

threads caught round the impellor blade, usually old meat string etc etc, needs a strip and rebuild. Not difficult.
        Phil

Comment

Past experience is they are not worth trying to take apart and fix, and I don't think any replacement parts are available for them.

JL..............

Comment

Mom's did that for a while, I had to unjam it each time I went to visit. After about a year of that, she opened the cabinet door one day to a puddle of water. Replaced it and found a rusted out bottom end.

Comment

Replace it. I'm a plumber and I don't know of any rebuild kit. I don't know of any disposal that is designed to be serviceable. Coffee grounds could have contributed to its demise. They can also contribute to drain clogs.

Here's a pic of a secondhand trailer I bought, getting ready to turn in scrap for its maiden run (maiden run for me, anyway).

Comment

I think Lee in Texas says it all. Replacement is in order.
                The one thing to know is, if you get the same manufacturer replacement disposal the sink flange and the disposal attachment don't have to be replaced, just remove the old and reconnect the new, pretty easy job too.
                Tell the friend good luck. And offer a tail light warranty, as long as he see's your tail lights it's in warranty.

TX
                Mr fixit for the family
                Chris

Comment

Wow, that is quite a load of disposals!

Ok, I'll tell him to junk it. And I had previously suggested coffee down the drain was a really bad idea. And he does drink quite a bit of coffee.

Actually, there is one more thing to try for any plumbing problem. We should light some firecrackers and shoot some bottle rockets in there.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Fixit View Post
                    I think Lee in Texas says it all. Replacement is in order.
                    boy i'll say lol yeah nuthin but respect for Lee when it comes to garbage disposals

The one thing to know is, if you get the same manufacturer replacement disposal the sink flange and the disposal attachment don't have to be replaced, just remove the old and reconnect the new, pretty easy job too.

TX
                    Mr fixit for the family
                    Chris
                    Mine shot craps about 7 years ago, let it sit broke cuz could not afford to buy a new one, then one day I see one at a garage sale for 5 bucks, im thinking - damn, the three or four times i been under my kitchen sink and seen the one I had this looks identical - maybe even the same numbers - I think a sinkmaster 750 ? to lazy to look again, anyways - get it home and walla - direct bolt in, now i can grind up the middle of chicken bones, dogs get the knuckles - not much goes to waste around here...

Comment

If you need to clean out a disposal, fill it full of ice cubes and grind them up. You would be amazed at the amount of crud that gets scrubbed out of the grinding chamber. Flush it out with water and repeat as necessary until it stops throwing out the nasty stuff. Sometimes you need to use hot water to melt all the 'snow-cone' ice out of the chamber that can clog it. Our disposal always looks and runs like a new one after the ice cube cleaning. YMMV.

Comment

Agree on replace rather than rebuild. I rebuilt a Kenmore many years ago. What a cluster foxtrot. Just needed the impeller plate. Not being able to use the sink for 2 days while I struggled to get it apart broke me of that path. How much grief can you take from the lady of the house while you disrupt her daily routine? Hanging a new one takes 15 min. tops including replacing the drain pipe.
                        Joe

Comment

Agreed, a rebuild will be unsatisfying or impossible.

However, a guy figured out that they make fantastic little wind generators. Do a google search for garbogen. Here's a good example:

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php?topic=146006.0

Comment

One of my lifelong friends (who has now passed on to the great Sinkerator in the sky) was a plumber for his entire 40+ year career - he said don't put anything down the garbage disposal aside from the residue that normally comes off dishes. He always recommended putting the bulk of any meal into the trash and only rinsing into the sink. Replacing garbage disposals was one of his major sources of income.

We have lived at our current residence almost 25 years and never had one installed - we scrape the dishes into the kitchen garbage and rinse the rest into the normal P-trap, then the sink water goes into a grease trap. Coffee and tea grounds go into the garden. We have never experienced a clog...

Comment

He reports that the issue of the jamming is purely mechanical, creating the overload. He has repeatedly looked for junk in the unit. I could see how the acidic coffee grounds corroded and abraded the o-ring, leading to infiltration.

Wow, that garbogen is cool. I didn't see any good simple HOWTO's.

Comment

Working...
                              X