X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HWooldridge
    replied
    Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
    Ditto on septic tanks. Haven't had a disposal since moving to the property. They're an evil crutch anyway. Take the garbage out!

I'm able to burn trash out here so I put paper goods in a separate waste basket that's destined for the burn barrel. Trash collection is once a week here and I pay for four cans. Typically, I barely have enough for two but spring and summer cleanup tends to push the limit.
    Same deal here - I burn two or three times a week but only take out the solid trash once or twice a month.

And we are also on a septic and it works just fine. No roaches and no clogs...

Leave a comment:

• CCWKen
    replied
    Ditto on septic tanks. Haven't had a disposal since moving to the property. They're an evil crutch anyway. Take the garbage out!

I'm able to burn trash out here so I put paper goods in a separate waste basket that's destined for the burn barrel. Trash collection is once a week here and I pay for four cans. Typically, I barely have enough for two but spring and summer cleanup tends to push the limit.

Leave a comment:

• jdunmyer
    replied
    Well, some of my 'good luck' might be to the fact that we don't cook at home, only make coffee and cold cereal for breakfast, so not much to go down the drain. I looked this morning, and it's not a teaspoon of grounds when I wash out the filter. Having a septic tank, we've never had a garbage disposal, I'm told that that's a bad combination.

Leave a comment:

• dave_r
    replied
    Yeah, dumping oil/fat down the drain is bad, both for your personal drainpipe, but also the cities drainpipe. It always winds up coagulating somewhere, and then clogging up the pipe. And when it happens, it always sucks to have to be one of the guys who has to go down and dig it out (and they can be massive).

Leave a comment:

• Lee in Texas
    replied
    Coffee grounds can stick to slimy buildup in the pipes. Coffee grounds and oil are a terrible combo. If someone can flush oil and fat down the drain and never get a clog, more power to them. I have been to as many as 8 houses in a day. I see things that CAN cause problems, even if some people never have issues with it. At my house, only food residue that the fork didn't scrape into the trash goes in my sink. I unclog enough pipes at work. I don't want to do it at home.

Leave a comment:

• engineerd3d
    replied
    I had the opposite effect at my parents house. My mother had the kitchen sink clog on her 3 times in a month. My poor Dad would dismantle the drain and run a snake. One day he had enough and told my mother he was not going to do it again. Found my mom dumping oils and fat in the drain. Figured the drain was clogging due to fats. I told her to dump the espresso grinds in the sink. Not one clog since. Coffee is a great degreaser. The family only drinks espresso so the grinds are fine. She did not have any more clogs in that sink ever. She still dumps bacon oil through it and fat down the drain.

Leave a comment:

• jdunmyer
    replied
    Why is putting coffee grounds down the sink a bad idea? I have one of those "permanent" coffee filters (https://www.amazon.com/GoldTone-Reus...e+filter&psc=1) that I dump in the wastebasket first, leaving a bunch of grounds in the basket, which I then wash down the drain. It's probably a tablespoon, maybe less. Been doing that for at least 2 years now w/o trouble. No garbage disposal.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Nash
    replied
    Originally posted by hermetic View Post
    threads caught round the impellor blade, usually old meat string etc etc, needs a strip and rebuild. Not difficult.
    Phil
    I figured it was the missing socks.

Leave a comment:

• ncjeeper
    replied
    I replaced mine last weekend. Got 20 years out of it so that's pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• Glug
    replied
    He reports that the issue of the jamming is purely mechanical, creating the overload. He has repeatedly looked for junk in the unit. I could see how the acidic coffee grounds corroded and abraded the o-ring, leading to infiltration.

Wow, that garbogen is cool. I didn't see any good simple HOWTO's.

Leave a comment:

• HWooldridge
    replied
    One of my lifelong friends (who has now passed on to the great Sinkerator in the sky) was a plumber for his entire 40+ year career - he said don't put anything down the garbage disposal aside from the residue that normally comes off dishes. He always recommended putting the bulk of any meal into the trash and only rinsing into the sink. Replacing garbage disposals was one of his major sources of income.

We have lived at our current residence almost 25 years and never had one installed - we scrape the dishes into the kitchen garbage and rinse the rest into the normal P-trap, then the sink water goes into a grease trap. Coffee and tea grounds go into the garden. We have never experienced a clog...

Leave a comment:

• michigan doug
    replied
    Agreed, a rebuild will be unsatisfying or impossible.

However, a guy figured out that they make fantastic little wind generators. Do a google search for garbogen. Here's a good example:

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php?topic=146006.0

Leave a comment:

• Joe Rogers
    replied
    Agree on replace rather than rebuild. I rebuilt a Kenmore many years ago. What a cluster foxtrot. Just needed the impeller plate. Not being able to use the sink for 2 days while I struggled to get it apart broke me of that path. How much grief can you take from the lady of the house while you disrupt her daily routine? Hanging a new one takes 15 min. tops including replacing the drain pipe.
    Joe

Leave a comment:

• Highpower
    replied
    If you need to clean out a disposal, fill it full of ice cubes and grind them up. You would be amazed at the amount of crud that gets scrubbed out of the grinding chamber. Flush it out with water and repeat as necessary until it stops throwing out the nasty stuff. Sometimes you need to use hot water to melt all the 'snow-cone' ice out of the chamber that can clog it. Our disposal always looks and runs like a new one after the ice cube cleaning. YMMV.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Fixit View Post
    I think Lee in Texas says it all. Replacement is in order.
    boy i'll say lol yeah nuthin but respect for Lee when it comes to garbage disposals

The one thing to know is, if you get the same manufacturer replacement disposal the sink flange and the disposal attachment don't have to be replaced, just remove the old and reconnect the new, pretty easy job too.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris
    Mine shot craps about 7 years ago, let it sit broke cuz could not afford to buy a new one, then one day I see one at a garage sale for 5 bucks, im thinking - damn, the three or four times i been under my kitchen sink and seen the one I had this looks identical - maybe even the same numbers - I think a sinkmaster 750 ? to lazy to look again, anyways - get it home and walla - direct bolt in, now i can grind up the middle of chicken bones, dogs get the knuckles - not much goes to waste around here...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X