No announcement yet.

OT: free solo of El Capitan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would insurance etc be required to pay out in the event this dude fell at a lower level and lived ??? Just thinking about it from a business perspective I would't think my ins company would have any reason to pay out anything. If he fell and lived it was basically a self induced injury.

Comment

Am I the only one who's palms instantly sweat every time i see free climbing. I get a strange sensation thru my whole body. (fear lol)
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/csprecision

Comment

Originally posted by legendboy View Post
        Am I the only one who's palms instantly sweat every time i see free climbing. I get a strange sensation thru my whole body. (fear lol)
        I am deathly afraid of heights. I can look at the top of tall building and think about walking around the edge or looking down and get the willies. Funny when I was younger I did indoor rock climbing LOL. Funny what happens as you get older.

Comment

"Would insurance etc be required to pay out in the event this dude fell at a lower level and lived ??? Just thinking about it from a business perspective I would't think my ins company would have any reason to pay out anything. If he fell and lived it was basically a self induced injury. "

Statistic wise it's a drop in the bucket, in perspective we have tens of millions of sloths sitting on the couch day in and day out eating things like ice cream and pizza and many stroking out when their in their late 30's

for some reason in our society this seems acceptable behavior even though it's the main reason health care will never be "fixed"

You simply cannot fix health care if people don't take care of their health,

Logic dictates sooner or later you have to ask the question who's being more negligent - the guy hanging by some rope and carabiners trying to improve his skills (the way most people climb) , or the people who are basically doing the equivalent of walking up to the edge of the cliff and falling off, (I say just falling because they are to lazy to jump)

only one example can be labeled an "accident" -------- the other is actually intentional...

It does crack me up the mindset of many when it comes to stuff like this, many are perfectly fine killing themselves with a fork and spoon, but god forbid some dudes actually out there "getting it done" in life...

there's stark contrast, if he pulls it off for his entire existence he's improved himself, and also had allot of fun doing it, that cannot be said for the sloths, they only have one place to go, they are on a constant downward death spiral...

again perspective,

ok - rant off lol

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
            "Would insurance etc be required to pay out in the event this dude fell at a lower level and lived ??? Just thinking about it from a business perspective I would't think my ins company would have any reason to pay out anything. If he fell and lived it was basically a self induced injury. "

Statistic wise it's a drop in the bucket, in perspective we have tens of millions of sloths sitting on the couch day in and day out eating things like ice cream and pizza and many stroking out when their in their late 30's

for some reason in our society this seems acceptable behavior even though it's the main reason health care will never be "fixed"

You simply cannot fix health care if people don't take care of their health,

Logic dictates sooner or later you have to ask the question who's being more negligent - the guy hanging by some rope and carabiners trying to improve his skills (the way most people climb) , or the people who are basically doing the equivalent of walking up to the edge of the cliff and falling off, (I say just falling because they are to lazy to jump)

only one example can be labeled an "accident" -------- the other is actually intentional...

It does crack me up the mindset of many when it comes to stuff like this, many are perfectly fine killing themselves with a fork and spoon, but god forbid some dudes actually out there "getting it done" in life...

there's stark contrast, if he pulls it off for his entire existence he's improved himself, and also had allot of fun doing it, that cannot be said for the sloths, they only have one place to go, they are on a constant downward death spiral...

again perspective,

ok - rant off lol

Ya know, I never thought about it that way. As I set here in my office chair which now is said to be worse for your health than smoking.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
              Since having kids I've become so risk averse that it's almost laughable. I used to be quite the opposite.
              I think this is a fairly universal dynamic. That absolute commitment and responsibility to someone else just doesn't happen until kids. You're no longer living for yourself, you're living to provide for and parent them. I equate it to growing up, not that there is anything wrong with fun stuff done before, but its walking through a door that changes you. In looking at my friend group that was the key event, having kids, that made them adults. A large percentage of buddies who never did that, still kinda don't act like adults either. In your 30 and 40's it caused moments of jealously....now in the 50's it looks a little pathetic.

I think doing the free climbing is nuts....but that's just my perspective and thinking the activity is nuts is a different than judging the guy. You don't have to travel very far out my front door to find lots who'd think having a garage full of machine tools is nuts, so I'm trying be more open minded than judging the world from my paradigm. Still, I bet he doesn't have kids
              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                I think this is a fairly universal dynamic. That absolute commitment and responsibility to someone else just doesn't happen until kids. You're no longer living for yourself, you're living to provide for and parent them. I equate it to growing up, not that there is anything wrong with fun stuff done before, but its walking through a door that changes you. In looking at my friend group that was the key event, having kids, that made them adults. A large percentage of buddies who never did that, still kinda don't act like adults either. In your 30 and 40's it caused moments of jealously....now in the 50's it looks a little pathetic.

I think doing the free climbing is nuts....but that's just my perspective and thinking the activity is nuts is a different than judging the guy. You don't have to travel very far out my front door to find lots who'd think having a garage full of machine tools is nuts, so I'm trying be more open minded than judging the world from my paradigm. Still, I bet he doesn't have kids
                Note: Not everyone who has kids makes this transition. My brother didn't (well, at least hasn't yet). Unfortunately, it's not that he's still doing risky things, it's that he doesn't feel the need to be responsible for/to his kids in any way. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Axkiker View Post
                  Would insurance etc be required to pay out in the event this dude fell at a lower level and lived ??? Just thinking about it from a business perspective I would't think my ins company would have any reason to pay out anything. If he fell and lived it was basically a self induced injury.
                  Of course they would pay -- the same as they would if you cut your finger off on a table saw or dislocated your shoulder playing softball.

Comment

Originally posted by dave_r View Post
                    Note: Not everyone who has kids makes this transition.
                    agreed, its far from an absolute in both directions....more of an anecdotal observed correlation in my world
                    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Working...
                    X