X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: free solo of El Capitan

Absolutely terrifying:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ad...rk-el-capitan/

"Renowned rock climber Alex Honnold on Saturday became the first person to scale the iconic nearly 3,000-foot granite wall known as El Capitan without using ropes or other safety gear, completing what may be the greatest feat of pure rock climbing in the history of the sport."

"On Freerider, one of the most daunting physical and mental challenges Honnold faced was two pitches of steep, undulating expanse of rock about 600 feet up. Polished smooth by glaciers over the millennia, the granite here offers no holds, forcing a climber to basically walk up it with his feet only. Honnold used a delicate technique called “smearing,” which involves pressing his rubber shoes against the rock to create just enough grip to support his weight on the incline. He had to keep his weight perfectly balanced and maintain enough forward momentum to avoid sliding off. “It’s like walking up glass,” Honnold said."

Death wish... one day crap will happen.

Comment

Now would be a good time to retire and enjoy the success. Amazing but Darwin Award type of activity.

Comment

Interestingly, it was more a test of guts than climbing expertise. He did a "free solo" which means no ropes at all. But it has been climbed before in "free climb", which means ropes are used, but only for safety, not to aid the actual climbing. So, Honnold's climb was way more dangerous, but not any more technically difficult.

Comment

I'll be patiently waiting to hear of his "unfortunate death".

Comment

Beats dying in the hall of a nursing home waiting for a Pamper change.
            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
            country, in easy stages."
            ~ James Madison

Comment

Anyone here climbed El Capitan?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
                Interestingly, it was more a test of guts than climbing expertise. He did a "free solo" which means no ropes at all. But it has been climbed before in "free climb", which means ropes are used, but only for safety, not to aid the actual climbing. So, Honnold's climb was way more dangerous, but not any more technically difficult.
                Actually, he made multiple climbs of the same route and memorized all of the moves, which is probably a harder feat than the actual free climb

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                  Death wish... one day crap will happen.
                  Maybe --- While I understand the "gravity never sleeps" camps logic, I also understand what goes on when throwing yourself into a solo effort to get something done in extreme sports, it's all you - and you realize it going in - and the saying "heightened state of awareness" actually becomes an understatement in itself,,, the guys in tune,

yeah maybe someday he goes out like Karl Wallenda - but keep in mind Wallenda kacked at an age where he was about to kack anyways --- not a bad deal doing what you love your whole life and laughing at everyone else for their entire mundane lives for not sacking up and taking on a few challenges...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                    Maybe --- While I understand the "gravity never sleeps" camps logic, I also understand what goes on when throwing yourself into a solo effort to get something done in extreme sports, it's all you - and you realize it going in - and the saying "heightened state of awareness" actually becomes an understatement in itself,,, the guys in tune,

yeah maybe someday he goes out like Karl Wallenda - but keep in mind Wallenda kacked at an age where he was about to kack anyways --- not a bad deal doing what you love your whole life and laughing at everyone else for their entire mundane lives for not sacking up and taking on a few challenges...
                    I am sure a suicide bomber feels the same thing?

Comment

3000 feet in 4 hours-- that's my walking speed. An amazing feat requiring physical and mental toughness. I stand in awe of their accomplishments.
                      Ray

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                        I am sure a suicide bomber feels the same thing?
                        no - that's a mission where you know you don't return, im pretty sure this guy knew he was coming back or at least that's what was pushing him for perfection,,, suicide bombers are hacks,,, all's they have to do is fumble around and try to get close, and if they miss their mark it does not matter cuz there's nobody there to yell at them, no real challenge and also not a whole lot of room for things like contemplation and personal growth lol

Comment

Unfortunately both suicide bombers and show off climbers encourage others to imitate with all negative consequences ........

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                            Beats dying in the hall of a nursing home waiting for a Pamper change.
                            Exactly. That's how my Mother died after having a stroke. A loooong 6 years for her, and the rest of our family. 59 years young.

I used to race motorcycles, and would have people look down their noses at me saying how dangerous, I must have a death wish, I hope I dont take anybody else with me when I die etc.....and on and on. For some people there is more to living life, than punching a clock to make ends meet, and rotting away on a couch.

While the thought of climbing anything like that sends chills up my spine (not a heights guy), let alone free soloing it. I can absolutely appreciate the physical, and especially mental toughness required to complete such a challenge. Guys got stone cajones. He and everybody else involved know the risks, and proceed accordingly. It amazes me what the human body and mind can accomplish when people set goals and work toward them. Good for him.

Comment

Yup - my niece has got about $2,500 bucks worth of climbing gear and has an exceptional rating - so much so she leads allot of climbs with some very experienced dudes, she's tried to get me to go, not my cup of tea as Im not a heights guy either,
                              All's I know is it's more than just a cheap thrill - it hones you, people who get into stuff that challenges them and literally puts their butts on the line just seem to be more "with it" - they have to be - it's not a video game to where you can hit the "reset" button, while granted some might get into it for all the wrong reasons others are in it to better themselves,

we are hardwired for it, Life has not always been this "easy" - we had to rely on our wits along with incredible strength both mentally and physically... and yes you have to catch yourself and know when to say when, yet another key factor in keeping in check with reality,,,

besides, im told when we kack there's really not much after but eternity in some kind of a setting that's best described as a "root cellar" and all's we have is an old TV/VCR and a box of VCR re-runs of our lives to sustain us,

the cellars are all interconnected for ventilation purposes and the people you hear screaming are the ones that have to watch themselves doing things like going to church and sitting on the couch watching re-run after re-run of "mad about you"

You think that shows bad enough in person - try watching yourself watch it for the rest of eternity...

Comment

Working...
                              X