This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "... known to the State of California to cause cancer ..."

I bought a pair of carbon steel, tapered reamers on the internet, primarily for use in sheet aluminum. I need them for the size range. They are made in China so I don't expect high quality, but they should serve for my purpose.

On the back of the package it has that standard warning that, "This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm." Just what chemical is there in a carbon steel reamer that can cause such problems? I mean carbon steel = iron (Fe) and carbon (C) and other alloying elements. But those are locked up in the alloy and not likely to jump out and cause cancer or birth defects, are they?

Is this serious? Really? Could it be in the packaging?

Why in all creation don't they require actual specific information on what the hazard actually is?
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Unfortunately California has gone overboard and labeled almost everything as potentially cancer causing. This desensitizes people to substances that might actually pose a real risk, especially with prolonged exposure. The boy who cried wolf. As far as the tap, it may be coated in oil that is considered hazmat. Or the vendor may be opting on the side of caution to just label anything and everything on its way to Cali as "cancer causing" to avoid any potential violations or lawsuits.

Comment

California is special. They know a lot of things no one else knows. With luck all that wonderful wisdom will stay in California.
      Southwest Utah

Comment

Californians should have tattoos on their forehead that state, "Known to destroy states outside of California".

Comment

Probably chromium in the steel.

Comment

Probably the anti-rust coating. Whatever that is.

Comment

Silica can cause lung cancer. Do they have signs on all the beaches stating that the beach contains a chemical known to the state to cause lung cancer?

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                Californians should have tattoos on their forehead that state, "Known to destroy states outside of California".
                Careful, you could be next. Haven't been to Utah for quite a while, maybe it's time for a road trip.

This kind of stuff happens all the time. The manufacturer is covering its collective ass and being lazy about it.

-js

EDIT: oops, it's Chipmaker in Utah. RB, just wondering, where are you?
                (damn, where's the "evil" icon when I want it?)
                Last edited by Jim Stewart; 06-05-2017, 08:50 PM.
                There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post
                  Careful, you could be next. Haven't been to Utah for quite a while, maybe it's time for a road trip.

This kind of stuff happens all the time. The manufacturer is covering its collective ass and being lazy about it.

-js

EDIT: oops, it's Chipmaker in Utah. RB, just wondering, where are you?
                  (damn, where's the "evil" icon when I want it?)
                  Florida, don't worry, theres plenty of New Yucker snow birds that are trying their best to ruin it.

Comment

I think air causes cancer in Commifornia.

Comment

Kalifornia has gone off the deep end..................

The liberal mind set causes brain cancer in other states.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...3th88LntjfRzNQ

JL..............

Comment

One thing for sure, is your not going be able to sue CA for your cancer. They have their butts covered. But my opinion is CA is a cancer. Just saying.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                        Oregon Coast

Comment

We couldn't put a roof over an outdoor waste treatment plant in California because doing so would have triggered ADA compliance for the entire plant. They put the 3' high containment wall around the plant but couldn't put stairs over it because that also would trigger ADA and then they would need a ramp. It was a hoot dragging the 300 lb building inspector lady over that containment wall!

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                            Florida, don't worry, theres plenty of New Yucker snow birds that are trying their best to ruin it.
                            You need an address in New York state so you can vote for president twice too.
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                              You need an address in New York state so you can vote for president twice too.
                              If I do that, my blood will turn green and Hillary 2020 bumper stickers will show up on my car. Can't risk going to the dark side.

Comment

Working...
                              X