Boring Head Shank Mounting ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boring Head Shank Mounting ???

I was cleaning up the R8 shank on a 3" boring head the other day. I had the head mounted in the lathe so I could polish some of the imperfections out of the taper and shank. I noticed right off as I was spinning it that the arbor was out of center and the end of the arbor was turning eccentrically. Almost like the arbor wasn't mounted square to the head. I know these arbors screw into the head but I'm wondering will this have any effect on the accuracy of a hole that is bored??? or doesn't it matter??
    Will it cut an eccentric or tapered hole???

JL................

Big problem for a boring and facing head but insignificant I think for a plain borer.

Comment

I'm trying to visualize the positioning of the cutting insert in relation to the head as it turns. My guess is since it's stationary it's not going to matter.

JL...........

Comment

A single point cutter will run as true as the spindle bearings if held securely. Regardless of the connection between spindle and cutting edge, the cutting edge will turn in a perfect circle. The same thing applies to swinging a dial indicator in the spindle. The holder between spindle and indicator can be fairly convoluted, but the indicator will still swing a circle.
        Last edited by Toolguy; 06-06-2017, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
          A single point cutter will run as true as the spindle bearings if held securely. Regardless of the connection between spindle and cutting edge, the cutting edge will turn in a perfect circle. The same thing applies to swinging a dial indicator in the spindle. The holder between spindle and indicator can be fairly convoluted, but the indicator will still swing a circle.
          This is what I thought, thanks for the verification.

JL..............

Comment

Working...
          X