20 ton MECHANICAL PRESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 ton MECHANICAL PRESS

Years ago I found this press in a barn. It was rusty but intact. (There was also a Logan 200 lathe and that's what I was there to look at.)
    LSS, I bought the press and the lathe and refurbished both.
    I paid $50 for the press to the grandson of the original owner.
    I have used it many times and it does seem to live up to its 20 ton billing.
    I thought some of you might like to see this old iron.
    Bill

I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Here is the data plate. Note the date.
    Bill

Comment

The mechanism is very clever.
      There is a screw thread, a hand wheel driving the screw through balls in a race and a compound hand lever. All of these add up to a very large mechanical advantage.
      Bill

Comment

I used one of those presses, )same brand etc,) years ago to press in some bearings, it was a usefull outfit.

Comment

Any detail pics of the mechanism?
          Len

Comment

Originally posted by Seastar View Post
            The mechanism is very clever.
            There is a screw thread, a hand wheel driving the screw through balls in a race and a compound hand lever. All of these add up to a very large mechanical advantage.
            Bill
            Agreed, and thanks for the post as I'm the process of designing one. aside from the compound lever, I'm going to pretty much copy this.

I do have a question about bottle jacks though. The other day I was trying to press a hub on a quad axle where it didn't belong (one had a 40 tooth and one had a 39 tooth spline). The guy who brought the parts didn't care. He needed it for a race that day. I took a car jack and laid it on its side, put a pipe across my garage opening and was going to simply jack it on. The hub is aluminum, wrong spline, but should press on. The jack on its side didn't work. It was an old ****ty one so I got my double speed, double pumper and that didn't work. Then I grabbed a 2 ton NEW one out of my wife's car (they don't come with jacks and spares anymore). That one didn't work either. Obviously these things don't work on the side so I pressed it under A 12" I beam that runs across my garage.

I guess my question is, do I need to buy a specific bottle jack to hang from the press I'm building? Is there a certain 'type' that will work upside down or at angles? (I'm a new, small shop and may need the jack for a different, temporary situation)

Comment

Try laying the jack down with the pumping lever on the bottom so it can get oil.
              Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

Bottle jacks have to be standing up to work.

Do a search, some guys have altered bottle jacks to work upside down, for use in hydraulic presses.

Hal

Comment

Originally posted by Hal View Post
                  Bottle jacks have to be standing up to work.

Do a search, some guys have altered bottle jacks to work upside down, for use in hydraulic presses.

Hal
                  Thanks. I'll look. There must be one you can buy that works upside down.

Comment

That Weaver is a cool machine! I got curious about the mechanism, too, and found a couple of nice YouTubes that show it off fairly well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xdTid-nXu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z-EpJzNKIc
                    Cheers,

Frank Ford
                    HomeShopTech

Comment

We had a "ratchet press" in a shop I used to work in - can't remember the rating but was quite stout. You used to see them in old blacksmith and water well shops, before hydraulics became more popular.

Nice job on the rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by Jigs View Post
                        Thanks. I'll look. There must be one you can buy that works upside down.
                        Nuh Uh. I looked all over for one when I built my press. Had to go with it right side up.
                        Last edited by Dave C; 06-06-2017, 02:56 PM. Reason: added pic
                        “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

I don't know that I have ever seen a press with the jack upside down. They are all right side up.
                          Pretty sure you can run most of them horizontally though. Just don't remember the specifics on which side had to be down. Probably the side where the handle fits into the little pump.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Ford View Post
                            That Weaver is a cool machine! I got curious about the mechanism, too, and found a couple of nice YouTubes that show it off fairly well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xdTid-nXu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z-EpJzNKIc
                            Thanks Frank!
                            Both of the presses in the video have features mine does not.
                            I guess I have the $.50 version.
                            Bill

Comment

Re: Bottle jacks upside down:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...t=jack+anatomy

and

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...hlight=snorkel post #14

Comment

Working...
                              X