OT: Copper corbels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
    I don't agree with your assessment but that is not the point. I deal with this crap nearly every time a contractor or handyman walks on my place. On the other hand I had a firm come in to cut a door way in a brick wall and they quoted me 1600 Euros to do the job. I accepted and they came and cut the doorway. The bill came and it was for 750 Euros because the job was not as difficult as they thought it would be. So there are some honest workers out there.

That is the proper thing to do.

If the job, or customer, is not as bad as expected, bill for less than quoted.

It is very very difficult to bill for MORE later, you have to do it first. Yes, you always have the option of reducing the bill. Or, if the job or customer is a real pain, the quote stands.

Simple, no conflict, no hassle, leaves you with options, and the power to exercise them. Otherwise, the power is always with the bully type customer who does not even want to pay what he agreed to by accepting the quote.
    4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Well it certainly would be easy to buy a brake with those kind of jobs.
      I could sell my 4 ft box and pan for 800.00

Comment

.Welcome aboard! Post all you want. Newbies are welcomed and appreciated. All skill levels too. 98% are thoughtful intelligent helpful participants on this forum. I believe that is a better than average signal to noise ratio. Occasionally, people make a thoughtless post. Feel free to ignore it.

As far as the price goes, it was a willing seller, and a willing buyer, and an agreed upon price, and the buyer was happy with the end product. Nothing wrong with anything in that equation.

Carry on and have fun doing it.

Finest regards,

Comment

For most jobs that I do I have given the customer a choice: time and materials or a fixed price. I give an estimate of the material costs, my hourly rate, and the fixed price along with a clear statement of the scope of the work. I do not give them any estimate of the time. I calculate the fixed price at about 3 to 5 times what I figure for time and materials.

You would be surprised at how many will choose the grossly overpriced fixed price. They are the suspicious ones who think I am ripping them off with time and materials. They think they got the better end of the deal and I dance all the way to the bank.
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
            Nonsense.
            Many people have more money than common sense.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/come-and-...badfinger.html
            Bingo

Originally posted by michigan doug View Post
            .Welcome aboard! Post all you want. Newbies are welcomed and appreciated. All skill levels too. 98% are thoughtful intelligent helpful participants on this forum. I believe that is a better than average signal to noise ratio. Occasionally, people make a thoughtless post. Feel free to ignore it.

As far as the price goes, it was a willing seller, and a willing buyer, and an agreed upon price, and the buyer was happy with the end product. Nothing wrong with anything in that equation.

Carry on and have fun doing it.

Finest regards,
            I just didn't expect any BS on a machinist forum. Debates? Of course. Anyway, maybe I was just in a crappy mood that day. Apologies to the rest of you that had to read that crap.

Part of the pricing was extensive research on patina copper, how to lacquer it without disturbing the colors (and finding one that would stick to a smooth surface), and I had one company "the copper people" screw me for two weeks before returning my money because they couldn't deliver as promised. I would highly recommend avoiding doing business with them, despite the BS reviews. It became time sensitive and the owners were more than happy with the price (that wasn't all labor...) for me to get this done fast.

One person commented on using wax. I mentioned that to them and they had no interest in waxing these things. I found a product called Permalac that is pricey but turned out to be great. One aerosol can is $35, but if you have to clear coat something you cant really prep (in this case it was just clearing with lacquer thinner), I'd highly recommend it.

Comment

Alright then, but what was 2 thou ?
              By using a brake I assume you meant a folded corner, is that what you meant.

I like copper, and plan to use it on a motorcycle, i like the tarnished with part of it polished look.
              For what I want to use its about 25 bux a square foot.
              A buddy is making stainless and copper plants.....never need water..
              Last edited by 754; 06-09-2017, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                Alright then, but what was 2 thou ?
                By using a brake I assume you meant a folded corner, is that what you meant.

I like copper, and plan to use it on a motorcycle, i like the tarnished with part of it polished look.
                For what I want to use its about 25 bux a square foot.
                A buddy is making stainless and copper plants.....never need water..
                I was supplied the fabbed corbels. The thickness of the wood was EXACTLY 2" making my part easier as I could make the copper bends all the same. And yes, just 90deg bends. Sorry for the bump. I was looking for the thread for someone and saw that last question.

Comment

Working...
                X