OT: Copper corbels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Copper corbels

A "friend" of mine is putting in a massive, beautiful kitchen. He knows I work with metal and asked me to wrap the corbels for his breakfast bar in patina copper (they installed a hammered copper farm sink). They are glued with construction adhesive. I just put the tacks for show mostly.This was the perfect excuse to buy a brake! But Hunny, I need it for this job! I was amazed at the millworkers work. I got the corbels and they were all within .001" of 2". This made my life easy... This is one side. There's a total of 7 of them. I was doing what I had to do to make money while trying to work out my phase converter issues. I wrapped them leaving about an 1/8" on the mounting sides then just hit them on the belt sander till flush. That's my next thread. Hopefully someone can help me out with a rotary converter...

Last edited by Jigs; 06-06-2017, 01:22 PM.

Was there a question in there somewhere? Or an answer? When I first saw the picture I thought at first that you had just nailed
    some OSB on there and then stained it. I'm not sure why you wanted to mess up the copper with the nails...
    Keith

Comment

What is a corbel ?
      What is that scratched up stuff on the sides if the triangles ?
      Where could a brake be used on this ?
      What is within 2 thou ?
      Amazed at the millworkers work..on the pic I am seeing there is a big thick piece of plywood.. Ibthink you can do that on a table saw.
      Not sure I want to see that sink..

Some new houses, high end end ones are just plain weird... Complete absence of radius corners in construction..and people just seem to throw more money at the builder.
      Man I miss art deco and them rounded corner layered houses..

Comment

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
        Was there a question in there somewhere? Or an answer? When I first saw the picture I thought at first that you had just nailed
        some OSB on there and then stained it. I'm not sure why you wanted to mess up the copper with the nails...

Maybe it's the lighting not doing the subject matter justice but this was my first thought as well.
        I realize this is purely subjective but I think it would look less tacky without the tacks. But then again sometimes a photo can be misleading.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Clearly the lighting sucks in the pic.

I hope those were copper tacks.

What's the rotary converter question?

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
            I didn't realize all my posts had to be questions or answers. Sorry, I'm new here.

They wanted tacks, I gave them tacks. They are copper and had to be pre drilled. they folded like tin foil and that copper was only 22 ga

Originally posted by 754 View Post
            What is a corbel ?

A support for a large counter top. A corbel is what's in the pics..

What is that scratched up stuff on the sides if the triangles ?

That's a patina finish copper

Where could a brake be used on this ?

Do you know what a bending brake is? This job paid for mine. Google it. I assumed every machinist knew what a brake was...
            I had to bend them. Hence bending brake

What is within 2 thou ?
            Amazed at the millworkers work..on the pic I am seeing there is a big thick piece of plywood.. Ibthink you can do that on a table saw.
            Not sure I want to see that sink..

Then I won't post it. I'll keep on topic. Maybe you'll understand metal a bit more. I'll try to dumb it down in the future for you.

Actually it was multiple pieces of wood, glued together, then milled to 2" thk

Some new houses, high end end ones are just plain weird... Complete absence of radius corners in construction..and people just seem to throw more money at the builder.
            Man I miss art deco and them rounded corner layered houses..
            This kitchen is art. Every inch of it. The counter is not on the breakfast bar in the pics. He sent me a pic of my work, which yes, was crappy lighting.

Is this one of those forums where everyone busts each others balls or are you really naive? I'll stick to posting metal. Sorry. I have a really cool end mill I could show you.
            Last edited by Jigs; 06-06-2017, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

What's the rotary converter question?
              I'm going to have to start a thread on the converter. 754 just made me lose all interest in posting. Tomorrow maybe. It would be fantastic if you could help. I'm not an electrician.

Comment

Don't worry, your posts don't need to be questions or answers.
                754 just made me lose all interest in posting.
                Once again, don't worry about it. If you feel someones being an ass, just ignore their post.

Comment

absolutely.

Sometimes something just gets off on the wrong foot.

I like the copper idea, just can't get a good sense of it from the pic. I've done metal sculpture and jewelry type work, I'm interested, whether others are or not.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

I am sorry but your post was hard to figure out what you were asking/ telling.
                    Being able to take some criticism, makes it far easier to learn.
                    And believe me, I can offer help on metalworking..
                    There are a lot of things, that are high end or pricey, that wont appeal to everyone.
                    Maybe because we only see part of the pic, we cant grasp the concept.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                      I am sorry but your post was hard to figure out what you were asking/ telling.
                      Being able to take some criticism, makes it far easier to learn.
                      And believe me, I can offer help on metalworking..
                      There are a lot of things, that are high end or pricey, that wont appeal to everyone.
                      Maybe because we only see part of the pic, we cant grasp the concept.

I'm just trying to make some post's here. Most forums don't like newbies. When they finish the kitchen I'll revisit this thread. And it was pretty high end. I charged a thousand dollars (minus the copper) and didn't even have to make the corbels. Took a day to do with lacquer clear coat.

Comment

Looks like a nice bit of copper smithing, every post doesn't have to be a question or a reply, that would be pointless, btw I wouldent be that concerned with criticism from anyone who is unable to identify a corbel ( in simple terms it's anything sticking out holding somthing up, there easy wasn't it)
                        The nails do add to what would be a featureless triangular plane, not ideal in somthing that has to have aesthetic appeal as well as form, the patination looks nice , there's a wax available for copper too.
                        mark

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                          ...btw I wouldent be that concerned with criticism from anyone who is unable to identify a corbel...
                          Must be a British or European thing. I've been metalworking for a little over 45 years now (actually making a living at, not just playing)
                          and I've never heard the term corbel before--or maybe it's a woodworking thing...
                          Keith

Comment

bang "corbel" in google images for what corbel's look like. Mostly wood and stone examples.

Comment

I've seen the word corbel quite a bit in a building context, often connected with stone or masonry work. You can buy modular corbel concrete blocks. The most common size is 8 x 16 on the bottom face and 12 x 16 on the top.

Ed
                              For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

Working...
                              X